Chapter 21. The Bludger Incident ☾

A/N: All J.K. Rowling's.

For Harry, the weeks were still flying by. He had had fun on Halloween, and now Remus was sending him letters occasionally. He could only wait until next year, when he would have his godfather again.

As the first Quidditch match of the year approached, Harry began to get more and more nervous. He did not fancy spending the night in the hospital wing having his arm regrown. Draco seemed adamant that Dobby would not hex the bludger this time, giving Lockhart no reason to vanish his bones.

"I told Dobby not to mess with Hogwarts. He should not have any reason to come here." Draco assured Harry.

"He didn't have any real reason last time. I was actually safe from the basilisk." Harry countered.

"He couldn't have known that." Hermione defended. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Sure, whatever." Harry shrugged off.

The day of the Quidditch match came. All three of the Gryffindors were keeping an eye out for the renegade house elf, and they seemed satisfied when they did not see him.

Harry and Draco left for the locker rooms after breakfast. They got dressed and lined up in front of the chalkboard Wood used to explain plays to them.

"Come on, team. We've practiced hard. We've studied our plays. I am confident that this game will end in our favor. We will win." Wood announced excitedly. Fred and George looked at one another deviously. Then, both of them stepped forward. First Fred knocked on Wood's forehead. Then, George took a turn. Wood stood frozen in shock.

"What was that for?" Wood sputtered when he actually came to his senses. Both redheads shrugged.

"Knock on wood." The cited in unison. Wood still looked confused.

"What does that mean?" Wood asked them. Harry stepped forward.

"In the muggle world, it's meant as a counter for jinxes. You know, when you say something will or will not happen, you knock on wood so that it's not jinxed." Harry turned to the twins. "Where did you learn that?"

Fred shrugged again. "Dear old dad told us about it." He explained. Harry nodded his head in understanding. Wood still looked murderous.

"Just get out there and play, eh?" Wood commanded. Everyone nodded.

The game began perfectly. Draco made quite the show of making several goals against the Slytherin team. Harry kept his eyes peeled for the snitch.

"Practicing for the ballet, Potter?" Finnegan sneered after Harry had to dodge several bludgers.

"You wish. Then, maybe you could find the snitch." Harry jeered as he scanned the field once again.

Just when Harry thought they were in the clear, one of the bludgers started acting up. No matter how many times the twins hit it towards the Slytherins, it always came back for Harry.

"What's with the rogue bludger?" Fred asked as he once again hit the bludger toward Zabini. Harry sighed.

"I had hoped for one change, just one, minor change." Harry muttered under his breath.

"What was that, Harry-bear?" George asked as he hit the bludger away from Harry once again.

"Nothing." Harry lied. He had to find the snitch quickly.

Draco, who at the moment was not in possession of the quaffle, looked worriedly over at his friend. He would kill the house elf later.

Harry was just about to grab the snitch when the bludger came back and slammed into his arm, effectively breaking it. Harry used his other arm to grab the snitch and then rolled onto the ground in agony.