thirteen

If she was found guilty, she would be killed.

Cora's lower lip trembled, desperation weighing down on her limbs.

She was going to be killed, she could feel it deep in her bones. She was going to be killed, and then nothing would be left of her.

She wondered whether Harry would even remember her when he came back to her city. If he'd look for her or move on as if she'd never been there. She wondered if the stars had told him that, too.

Cora sat back on the floor and let out a little cry that she tried to stifle right away, not wanting the guard outside to know he'd got to her.

The hay squeaked again, and Cora curled up in a corner and stared at the stones of the opposite wall as the pink light of sunset slowly faded and gave way to the darkness of night. She was mere hours away from knowing her fate, and it made her feel sick to her stomach.

She didn't want to die. She was too young to, but she also knew there was nothing she could do to save herself. What could she tell them that would relieve her of guilt? What could she tell them, that wouldn't lead them straight to Harry? She had to protect him. He'd trusted her, she couldn't throw it all away.

It wasn't fair, but nothing ever was.

Someone tapped on the bars of the window and Cora's head snapped up. She jumped up when she recognised her visitor. "Aunt?"

"I can't stay here long," the older woman whispered, folded over herself to see inside the ground-height window, glancing around the street to make sure she was alone. "Whatever they do, whatever they say... don't let them know, Cora. Don't let them know what you truly are, because they'll kill you for it with no hesitation."

Cora nodded. "I won't, but please, please help me."

"I'm trying to find a way, Naomi and Adair are too. Buy us as much time as you can." She looked up, her eyes widening. "Someone's coming, I must go. Remember, Cora."

She stood and walked away, leaving her alone once more.

Cora looked up at the stars, her hands on the cold metal. If only she wasn't so useless, if only she could do something more... she'd never thought about resenting the part of her that was fay, but now she did. She did, because it put a weight on her but gave her no way to protect herself. It was like telling someone to run from a hunter with no shield nor blade. They could only outrun danger for so long.

No wonder Harry hadn't fought for her harder. She wasn't that unique nor important to him—he'd have no trouble finding someone else. Maybe someone that could actually fend for themselves. Someone who could protect themselves from the dangers that came with working with him—dangers Cora would've certainly been killed by, if he hadn't been there to protect her.

She was useless though, and her inability to do pretty much anything worthwhile was about to cost her her life. Her heart was beating faster and faster in her chest, the bird inside of her desperately trying to be set free.

Cora curled up in a ball and wiped the tears away from her eyes, forcing herself to think. She had to come up with a plan, with something to say. She couldn't go out unprepared. She wondered if she'd be able to run away in the morning, while they took her to the courthouse. She wasn't sure it was a possibility, but it was the only thing she could do, because they'd never let her go, she knew that.

Before she could realise it she was crying again. She closed her eyes, forcing herself to think she was somewhere else, anywhere that wasn't that prison.

Maybe in a meadow in spring. Or again, in the meadow Harry had taken her to some days before, with a crackling fire and sweet fruit. Or in the greenwood, even. Quiet and peaceful. She wondered if the fays there would shelter her, or send her back to the city.