Chapter 45: Talk About It

The next day, I walked into the Curtis house. I knocked on the door and oppened it, walking inside.

"Hello guys." I said. The house was empty.

"Oh." I said in surprise. I turned to the kitchen and saw Darry sitting there with a glass of wine. He looked stress.

"Hey Dar, how you doing huh?" I asked. He looked up at me.

"I'm okay." He said.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked. It was odd that the gang was out on a Monday night but I wasn't to judge.

"Well, Dallas took Ponyboy and Johnny to the drive in. I'm sure twobit also tagged along." He said.

"Ah." I said nodding.

"Yeah, I've been doing everything to get ponyboy distracted from Sodapop." He said. I nodded my head in understanding.

"Well what about you? How've you been?" He asked.

"I've been fine." I said.

I stared at him.

"You know what? Go and put your shoes on and grab your coat." I said.

"What?"

"Go put your shoes on and grab your coat. It's chilly outside." I repeated again.

"Where are we going." He asked.

"We're gonna talk." I said. He stared at me but put his shoes on and grabbed a coat. We walked out of the house and to my car. I sat in the drivers seat and began driving to a store.

When we got there both Darry and I got out, walking into the store. I walked to the wine section with Darry following me.

"Okay, what's the best kind?" I asked. "I don't know a lot about wine. I'm more of a tequila person." I added.

He stared at me. "Well this kind is one of the bests." He said pointing at the bottle.

"This one?" I asked grabbing the bottle he was roughly pointing at.

He nodded.

"Alright." I said as I turned around and walked to the cash register. I payed for the bottle with Darry behind me and we walked to the car. I began driving.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"We are going to drink a glass or maybe two and we are gonna talk about you." I said as I pulled into the road.

"About me?" He asked.

"Yes about you." I said as I parked the car. We made it to a cliff. Where you could see Tulsa's town. Filled with life as the lights shined. We got out. I opened the trunk and got out the bag that contained glasses and the wine. I handed Darry the bottle and he oppened it. We sat on the hood of the car.

"How've you been since Sodapop and Steve left?" He asked.

"I've been okay. I can't deny that I feel sad and alone sometimes. But that feeling gets replaced with memories. I know they're gonna come back alive. I don't know when. But I know they're coming." I said. Taking a sip of my glass.

"What about you?" I asked.

He stayed quiet.

"There's no point to hide how you feel. We're both in pain and you know that what you tell me stays in between just you and me." I said.

He heavily sighed.

"I don't know, I'm just. I don't wanna think about what would happen if he died you know. Like I try to stay happy and strong for the boys. And for pony especially but there no way of avoiding those dark thoughts that haunt me. Ponyboy has been taking it the hardest. With the death of our parents and now Sodapop leaving. Him and I aren't as close and he and Sodapop were." He lets out.

I stared at him.

"I think you're the one that's taking it the hardest." I said as I drinked some more. He stared at me.
"I'm being honest when I say you never got to properly mourn the death of your parents. You never got to just break down and cry. You were forced to grow up so soon. To work double shifts for two different jobs. But you never allowed yourself to cry. And with Sodapop being gone. You're not giving yourself that chance to just break down. You're scared, afraid of what can happen and Darrel. Trust me when I say, it's okay to be afraid. It's okay to feel scared. He's your brother. I get it if you don't want to cry infront of your friends and Ponyboy. But you need to allow yourself to cry." I heard him sob.

"What if he dies?" He asked softly.

"I promise you Darrel. He won't.." I stared at him. He stared at me and layed his head on my shoulder. I wrapped my arms around him. "I promise you that he'll be back before you know it." I whispered. He nodded and pulled away from the hug.

"We should get going, the boys are probably on their way home." Darry said.

I nodded my head.

I dropped Darry off at his house and drove to mine. I opened the door and walked in. As soon as I got to the living room I saw Meredith crying.

"Meredith what's wrong?" I asked sternly.

"Oh god Elena I'm pregnant." She said in tears.