Episode 2

Who is Iyke and what do you mean he fucked you?”

My heart skipped a beat as I turned to watch my sister, Tonia pad into my room.

That winch! Doesn’t she ever knock?

“Don’t you ever knock?” I groused.

“And that answers my question how?” she sallied, plopping down on my bed.

“Up. Fucked me up, that’s what I said. The guy is my friend who disappointed me today.”

“Phew!” Tonia mimed swiping sweat from her forehead with her fingers. “That's a relief. With all this talk about the senate passing an anti-gay bill, the last thing I need is to start worrying if my brother likes taking it up his ass.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

She turned to her Blackberry as she replied, “It is what it is. Me, I don’t have anything against gay guys –”

“That is exactly what those who have something against gay guys say,” I cut in.

She looked up at me. “I’m just saying, god made Adam and Eve, not –”

“Adam and Steve, yes, yes, I know,” I said with an eye-roll. “Come on, Tonia.”

“Come on, you too. I don’t understand it. How can a guy see a sexy girl like me” – she waved her hands sweepingly over her bust – “and still want his fellow man? It’s bad enough that women are plenty and searching for husbands and boyfriends, we now have to fight with other guys as well?”

I couldn’t help it. I had to laugh at that. Tonia could be a clown sometimes, and even though we almost never agreed on a lot of things, I would always love her. Whether she would love me back if she discovered my true sexuality was another matter.

“Antonia, please leave my room. It's bedtime.”

“Okay.” She hopped down from my bed. “Goodnight.”

I returned the greeting and got into bed. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought about an alternate creation where God would have indeed made man . . . and another man, and called them Adam and Steve.

***

“I'll be stopping at Sabo!” I yelled from my seat in the back of the bus.

The conductor banged the top of the bus and the driver steered the vehicle to a stop on the side of the road. A woman in the front seat got down, and the people seated beside me moved their bodies so I could squeeze myself out of the bus.

When I got down, I gave myself a quick once-over to make sure my shoes were still spitshined and my clothes didn’t look like I hadn’t ironed them at all. I was okay, so I started on the short walk to my workplace.

FitPlus Inc. is a drug company housed in the second and third floors of Ibikun House, a vast brick-and-marble building on one side of Herbert Macaulay Way. I work in the human Resources Department, and I love my job. Being part of the team whose job it is to manage the welfare of every other staff made me feel very good. And let’s not forget that one time that a new intern had given me a slow wink when he came to our office to collect his employment letter. His gay radar had been on point, and before the end of that work day, we’d exchanged a quick but intense smooch and our contacts in the close confines of the men’s room.

The doors of the elevator on the ground floor glided open, and I made to step inside. Someone hastened out from it, and the two of us collided into each other. I had a quick impression of a well-chiseled face, high cheekbones, deep-set dark eyes, and a mouth that was full and sensual, with a dark upper lip and red lower lip, a contrast that made the mouth very kissable.