CH-3 FIRE IN HEARTS

ZAINA's POV:
After Laxmi's suicide her family was going through a great depression. Five days have passed after Laxmi's funeral. The atmosphere is filled with silence and grief. Me, Ammi and Aiza are trying our best to take care of them. Ammi regularly visits Temple with Sunita Chachi. Ram tries to spend time with Jagat Chacha as much as he can. Aiza stays with Mira whole day. And I am trying keep myself together. Laxmi's death is killing me from inside.

I am trying really hard to not cry in front of others, especially Aiza and Mira. Those girls would be scared.

An evening I was trying focus on studies. But Aiza and Mira started watching TV. Aiza started changing channels. She stopped when she maybe found her favourite channel.

But then I heard,
"A six years old girl child has been brutally raped and murdered....."

My body froze at it's place. Again.....an another Laxmi, an another Zaina, lost her pride and life.

I ran towards my room. I began crying as loud as I could. I can't bear this pain anymore. I can't act strong anymore. I can't remain silent anymore.

What if it happened with Aiza? No!

"Aiza!" I screamed my sister's name. I'll never let it happen with her.

Aiza and Mira entered my room after listening to my scream. After watching my sister I couldn't hold back. I hugged her tightly.
"You're safe. Nothing will happen. I am alive to save you."
"Apa, calm down."
"No! Try to understand. This world is not safe. It's not about Bhopal or India, whole world is filled with such ruthless beasts. I'll protect you. Do you understand?"
"I understand, Apa."
I looked at Mira. Her eyes are filled with tears.
"Mira.."
I held her shoulders.
"Stay strong. Never ever do the mistake that Laxmi did. Never ever try to end your life. Aiza, Mira, we have to protect our pride ourselves. No-one will protect us, no-one. Only we can. Just show those rapists their place. They are nothing in front of us. We have to prove, girls are not weak. We're not weak. We're strong. We're strong. We're strong......."
Aiza and Mira began crying. Both of them hugged me.

We're strong.

AIZA's POV:
Last night I couldn't sleep. Zaina Apa's voice was repeatedly echoing in my ears.

Sometimes I get scared. What if it happened with me? I have seen my sister going through the trauma. I have seen her trying hard to not get weak. It's really painful for me to watch my sister in such state. What if I had to go through all of this?

We're strong.

Yes, Apa. We're strong. I am strong. I'll protect myself.

********

At the evening I and Mira were returning to our homes after tuition. We were talking about random topics, cricket, movies, Varun Dhawan etc.

When we entered the street which leads to our homes, we heard whistles. These were not casual whistles, these were inappropriate. We turned around to look and two boys were standing leaning against a bike. Both of them had a disgusting expression over their faces. And again they whistled, looking at us. They were misbehaving with us.

Anger is overcoming me. They are barely seventeen and are doing such a shameful thing.

Mira held my arm tightly and pulled me away with her. But my soul was saying," Don't ignore it, Aiza. If you ignored them today, then tomorrow they will destroy any other innocent girl's life."

We're strong.

We're strong.

We're strong.