A calling voice

Living in an Egyptian village has its advantages as well as its disadvantage. Describing in brief, the air is extremely clean and you can find calmness that has escapedthe cities. Can't find words to talk about the Nile, the vegetation and the sky. All I can say is you should come here some day.

Disadvantages, well, I can for sure tell you one, the most I fear, LEGENDS. Here, I found many, but the most common was (the caller), Al-Nadaha as we say. It's a spirit or a ghost in the form of a beautiful woman that appears in front of men, who are outside during night, especially if they were alone. She walks to a lake, letting the man follow her, enchanted by her beauty and voice. Once they reach the lake, she turns into a terrifying beast that devours the man. Earlier,the story was different, she would select a man and go call him at night, enchanted by her voice, he would exit and follow her, and the remnant as before.

At first, I thought of it as a matter of nonsense, told to disobedient children to regret their mistakes. But the people here believed in the story more than they should.

One day, I was home alone and it was after midnight. I was asleep when I heard my name being called, never mind, I'm tired, I won't get up. The call was repeated, softly and quietly. This's not my mother's voice, not my aunt's nor any of my female relatives.I then remembered they were all spending the night at another relative's, preparing for awedding. The calling voice continued, it was, so irresistible that I went out of house and walked into the streets, in my sleeping gown. Somone clapped on my face calling my name. I got back conscious, to find a distant neighbour waking me up, and found how far I have walked away from home. He came with me to find more neighbours surrounding the house, clapping a hand into the other in sorrow. As soon as they saw me, they ran at me, asking several anxious questions, when they calmed they told me that a dangerous murderer was hiding on my roof, but the officers caught him. The neighbours were afraid that I was harmed when they found the door left open, with nobody inside.

I can't believe, she had called to save me, and I may have died if I had stayed. Then, I must be lucky. Thank you, nice voiced woman.