1 (chapter 9)

As the sun falls and it begins to get dark, Hermione, Ron, Harry and I are running across the wet ground to Hagrid's hut. Hermione knocks on the door and it opens.

"Hagrid!" We all shout. He looks a little surprised in his apron

"Oh, hello. Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today" He says trying to close the door. I roll my eyes.

"We know about the Philosopher's Stone!" We all shout. The Door reopens and Hagrid sighs letting us into the hut.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it" Harry says to him. Hagrid shakes his head and turns to Harry.

"Snape? Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?" He says. Harry nods and I step in to aid my brother.

"Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone. We just don't know why" I tell him.

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone! He's not about to steal it!" Hagrid says. Ron, Harry and I share a look.

"What?" Ron asks.

"You heard. Right. Come on, now, I'm a bit preoccupied today" Hagrid says trying to usher us out of the hut.

"Wait a minute" Ron asks. "One of the teachers?"

"Of course! There are other things defending the Stone, aren't there? Spells, enchantments" Hermione points out.

"That's right. Waste of bloody time, if you ask me" Hagrid says. I turn to look at Ron, who is being sniffed in the face by Fang. Ron shuffles away and I stop myself laughing. "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Hehe, not a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I shouldn't have told you that" Suddenly, the cauldron over the fire begins to rattle. Hagrid hurries over and grabs something. He places it on the table and we all crowd around it.

"Uh, Hagrid, what exactly is that?" Harry asks.

"That? It's a ... its um..." Hagrid starts but Ron shoots up next to us.

"I know what that is! But Hagrid, how did you get one?" Ron asks.

"I won it. Off a stranger I met down at a pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid off it, as a matter of fact" Hagrid says. I shake my head at him as the egg rattles and cracks. Pieces fly off as a small dragon emerges. It squeaks and slips on an egg piece.

"Is that...a dragon?" Hermione asks, she steps back slightly and I do the same.

"That's not just a dragon. That's a Norwegian Ridgeback! My brother Charlie works with these in Romania" Ron says looking at the small creature that's toddling about on the table.

"Isn't he beautiful? Oh. Bless him, look. He knows his mummy. Hehe. Hallo, Norbert" Hagrid says emotionally. The dragon squeaks as it looks at Hagrid.

"Norbert?" Harry and I ask. I give Hagrid a strange look as he shrugs.

"Yeah, well, he's got to have a name, doesn't he?" He replies."Don't you, Norbert?" Norbert backs away, hiccups and blows a fireball of fire into Hagrid's beard.
"Ohh! Oooh, ooh, ooh, well...he'll have to be trained up a bit, of course. Who's that?" He is looking at the window. I spin around and see Malfoy run away.

"Malfoy" I say.

"Oh, dear" Hagrid says. We all say our goodbyes and start walking back up to the castle quickly. As we get to a corridor Harry starts speaking.

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon. He told me so the first time we met him" He says.

"It's crazy," I say, rolling my eyes. "And worse, Malfoy knows"