Joshua

"Please mom? I want to go to Cole's house! He invited me and I said I would come!"

"Joshua Griffin Adler! What have I told you about making promises without asking me first? And stop throwing a fit or I will treat you like the toddler you are acting."

"I know mom but—"

"No buts. This discussion is over. Go to you room."

"Yes ma'am, but can I just say one more thing?"

"What? Spit it out quickly and don't expect it to change my mind."

"Yes ma'am. I wouldn't have promised if his grandfather had not died recently. He said that he, and his mom, wanted me to be there since I know all of them extremely well. I'm sorry for making a promise without asking you first but I just felt like promising a crying boy that I would go to his house for dinner was the right thing to do." With that Joshua turned to do as his mother told him, he started to walk up the stairs to his room.

He only got to the first step before his mom sighed. "Fine, you can go, but you better take your sister along. She is loved and welcome there just as much as you are. Plus, I think Jessica would appreciate her presence."

Joshua looked at his mom pointedly. "Mom, they don't live in a safe place. It doesn't feel right to take her there at night."

His mom waved Joshua's warning off. "You two will be fine. You have gone many times, nothing will happen."

"Yeah but-"

"Stop arguing with me Joshua!" His mom cut off. "Now hurry up you are already running late. Kara!"

A little eight year old Kara came running into the kitchen. Her red hair was brushed and put behind her ears, and she already had her shoes on. She glanced from her brother to her mom. "So I am coming after all?" She asked, her face full of hope. Josh had already told her about Cole. He told her the moment he got home. When she heard about it she wanted to come along for support. She had assured him that they can't be sad when the cutest girl in the world was with them. Of course Josh said no, but his mom had obviously overridden that decision.

"Yes, you can go with your brother." Their mom said chuckling.

"Mom, please I am begging you. It just doesn't feel right," Josh pleaded.

Kara went over to him and grabbed his hand. She peered up at him with the most superior face an eight year old that was looking at their older brother could muster. "Don't worry Josh. I will protect you it'll be fine." Then she turned and tugged him with her.

Josh looked back at his mother with pleading eyes, begging her to not make his sister go.

She just glared back at him.

Kara let go of him and disappeared behind the door. When Josh went through the door only a few seconds later he saw that Kara was already halfway down the street.

Shaking his head he shouted, "Kara! Kara! Wait up!" He started sprinting towards her. "Not everyone is as fast as you, you little speed demon!"

Kara turned around so that she could face her brother while still running. "You're so slow, you big baby!"

Joshua started to chuckle. "Turn back around you're going to fall!"

Kara managed to stick her chin up in the air while still running. "No I am not! I am as graceful as a-" She could not finish her statement when she tripped over a pot hole and flailed her arms around trying to regain her balance. She only lasted a few seconds before she ended up flat on the ground, her face just a mask of acceptance, disappointment, and annoyance.