Chapter Three - Where Is He?

Inside the elevator shaft, I tried to go through the black smoke until I so suddenly found myself lying down in front of the large door that leaded to Yubaba's office.

            I slowly stood up knowing that Yubaba has transported me to where I was now through that black smoke.  She was indeed expecting me. I looked at the door and saw the golden doorknob.  I didn't touch it nor spoke to it until...

"Heheh" the golden doorknob chuckled, "It's a big surprise to see you again.  Haha.  Yubaba has been waiting for you."

"Waiting for me?" I replied to the doorknob.

"Of course," The doorknob's eyes turned around teasingly, "She enjoys your company and... hehe...your brother's suffering—"

I suddenly reached out my hand furiously, and blasted flames at the irritating doorknob that tried to insult my brother.

After that as the doorknob was fried, the door slipped open, allowing me to enter.  When I took one step inside, a hard wall of rock was about to block my way until I jumped over it quickly.  More were coming out from the floor like sprouts as I ran and jumped over them as fast as I can, trying to get through. When I was approaching the last one that has almost reached the roof, I took out my sword, summoned flames into its blade again, and was about to slice the rocky wall until...

I found myself floating in the air surrounded by random illusions.

I felt myself suffocate again as I began to slowly hear Yubaba's evil laugh echo into my ears.  My body was being controlled somehow, trying to stop me from struggling, but then, I forced myself to open up my arms as flames were coming out from my eyes.

"E—Enough!" I cried as the illusion suddenly disappeared.

***

After a slight second, I heard the sound of crunchy wood and coal dancing in the fire.  As I slowly opened my eyes, I found myself kneeling down on a carpet, and beside me were three green heads bouncing around.  The place was filled with jewelry and gold.

"You have become quite brave to come here," A voice that made me look up said. 

Right in front of me, sitting on a chair and writing with a quill, is a big-headed old lady who is wearing a blue dress with anonymous jewelry on her ears, neck, and fingers.  She wasn't looking at me at all as she spoke; she just continued to write. 

"And yet," She continued, "That was pretty rude of you to burn up my doorknob."

"Where is my brother?" I asked as I was already standing and staring at her with stern eyes.

"You don't really know how to be respectful to me, do you?" she continued without minding my question.

"Where is my brother?" I kept on asking furiously as she continued to say things that slowly made me angry.

"And you can't even see how hard-headed you are—"

"You are the one who is hard-headed!" I shouted as the flames from the fireplace grew hotter and larger behind me.  "Where is my brother, Yubaba?!"

Yes, the old lady who was right in front of me, insulting me, was indeed, Yubaba, the witch who hid my brother away from me.

"Shut up and stop asking that question!" Yubaba suddenly jolted spilling ink on her work as the flames shocked her.  "I'll give you your brother, okay? Hmph!"

Yubaba got out of her chair and went inside a room. 

From where I stood, I heard Yubaba's voice and the voice of a crying baby.

"Where is he, baby?" Yubaba said to the baby, "Oh... You're playing?  Aww... that's nice."

Suddenly, Yubaba went out of the room and looked at me.

"Your brother is just fine," she said in a way that made me not trust her.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He's just fine," Yubaba smiled still making things look so suspicious, "Why don't you come here and find out for yourself?"

I slowly approached to where Yubaba stood and looked at her sinister smile so carefully.  When I finally entered the room after I moved the red curtain away, I saw a large baby, a baby larger than me, cuddling itself with its toys.

"Where is he?" I asked again.

"Oh," Yubaba said as I felt her evil aura getting even stronger, "Don't you recognize your own brother, Asumi?"

Yubaba began to smile evilly as I continued to look and hear the large baby play with its toys.  Suddenly as I realized something, I felt my heart skip a beat, and my eyes widened with horror.

"Hehe," Yubaba laughed knowing that I fixed the puzzle.

......................................................

AUTHOR's NOTE:

Have you found out where and who is Kaji, Asumi's brother?

Find out in the next chapter.