11.

11.

I was at a loss for words and I feel my hands tremble a little as I struggle to hold my phone over my ears. His voice sounds different, a lot different.. It's as if I have forgotten all about how his voice sounded throughout the years, it was that long since we last talked.

"Miss Yoon?" He calls for me when I was being unresponsive, an unfamiliar tone and unfamiliar name to escape his lips.

"Y-yes?" My eyes were glued to Jungkook's face. He was looking at me, waiting for the call to finish. I don't know if he knew it was Mingyu who called but base on his reaction, he probably does.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow." He finished off in a monotone voice, clearly devoid of emotion. It was as if he wasn't eager or he just wanted to keep things professional. But who am I kidding? He's probably setting boundaries and drawing a line.

I hear the sound of the call ending, him hanging up even before I could say good bye.

"Don't tell me you're going," Jungkook quickly interrupted me.

"I have to,"

I'm trying to reason out because I'm not choosing this job just because of Mingyu, I needed a new job and a new start. It just so happens, I was given an opportunity, here, back home.

Jungkook clearly looks like he still wanted to say something but he pressed his lips into a thin line, looking down as he does so.

"If you say so," He defeatedly says. He looks at me again and forces a small smile as he pats my shoulders. "Who am I to tell you to do otherwise, right?"

My eyes widen ever so slightly with hearing the small crack in his voice. I never wanted to ask nor did I assume. I just knew that we settled anything we had from the start, where the lines were, and what my boundaries are. It pains me to say but I just wish that he'd understand why I'm doing this.

"This is a fresh start for me, Kookie.." I can see him narrowing his eyes as a more real and softer smile appears on his face with the mention of his nickname.

"I know, I understand." He wasn't telling me that, he's more so reminding himself. He opened his arms wide enough for me to get the message and I didn't hesitate in hugging him back.

We never did fight in all the years of our friendship. If we ever did, it was over trivial matters that we always make up for soon after. It's also because we just can't stay mad at each other for long— for we have definitely developed a soft spot for each other, our roles in each other's lives grow significantly important.

"I just don't want you to go and hurt yourself in the whole process again," I hear him whisper over my head, his hands around my shoulder.

"You know I'm stronger than that." I reply and I hear him sigh.

He has been by my side ever since Mingyu got out of the picture. He became my greatest supporter, my confidante, my study buddy— name it. We were together most of our times in college and now that we're spending our lives away from each other, seeing him again just makes the heart grow fonder. He has his place in my life and in my heart, not in a way that Mingyu has his but Jungkook definitely earned his spot in my life by being there for me all those times. We were each other's go to person and I understand his anxieties about all of this, I really do.