Chapter 8

❝Who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things

Who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things.

- Bellamy Blake, The 100

Amelia = Bold Italic, Finnick = Normal, Katniss = Italic, Peeta = Bold, Johanna = Light, Beetee = Light Bold, Wiress = Light Italic

Amelia's POV

"Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree. That should draw them back to the beach. Prior to midnight we then run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or on the damp sand will be electrocuted." Beetee explained. "How do we know the wire's not gonna burn up?" Johanna asked. "Because I invented it. I assure you; it won't burn up." Beetee said and they all looked around at one another.

"Well, it's better than hunting them down." Johanna said with a shrug. "Yeah, why not? If it fails, no harm done anyway, right?" Katniss said and Peeta nodded. "All right, I say we try it. Amelia, Finnick?" Peeta asked us. "So, what can we do to help?" Finnick said ultimately answering his question. "Keep me alive for the next six hours. That would be extremely helpful." Beetee said. And it was decided...This was the plan.

3rd POV

Snow and Plutarch watch Katniss and Peeta's tender moment together on the monitor. "She is preparing to fight." Plutarch nods "That's our girl." Snow agrees with his prediction "This is what you predicted. Snow sits behind Plutarch and Plutarch nods his head. Snow continues "Moves and countermoves." Plutarch agrees "Indeed." Plutarch rises from his seat and turns to face Snow. Plutarch continues "We'll toast when it's done? In the meantime, make yourself comfortable." Plutarch leaves the room.

Amelia's POV

Finnick and I stood with our feet touching the water. We both stared into the water like we used to back home. As the sun went down reality set in. This is was the last time we would somewhat be at peace. I was thinking of death, not fearing it but fearing that Finnick would have to witness it. "Alright, lovebirds and kiddies!" Johanna yelled and both pairs turned to the smirking girl. "You ready for this sweetheart?" Finnick said grabbing my hand as they began walking back. "Yes. We can do this." I signed without showing any sad emotions.

When we reached the tree, I moved beside and grabbed Finn's hand instantly. "It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started." Beetee said and they all walked straight up to the tree. "Typically, a lightning strike contains five billion joules of energy. We don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when it hits." Beetee said wrapping the wire around the tree. "You three girls, go together now." Beetee said and Katniss and I visibly reacted.

"Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water. Do you understand." Beetee said to them, handing the coil to Katniss. "Then head to the tree at the two o'clock sector. We'll meet you there." Beetee said turning away. Finnick looked to me with pleading eyes but I just sighed. "I'm gonna go with them as a guard." Peeta said and Beetee immediately disagreed. "No, no, no. You're staying here to protect me and the tree." Beetee said.

In my mind I thought that anyone one of us girls would do better protecting than Peeta, but I kept it to herself. "No, I need to go with her." Peeta said and I took a deep breath. "There are two careers out there I need two guards." Beetee said. "Finnick can protect you just fine on his own." Peeta said. "Why can't Finnick and Amelia stay with you and Peeta, Johanna and I take the coil." Katniss said and I just rolled my eyes.

"We all agreed to it." Johanna added. "Is there a problem here?" Finnick asked them. "Excellent question." Beetee said. "No. There's no problem." Katniss said before walking to Peeta and kissing him. I turned to Finnick and signed the same. I kissed him on the cheek. "This isn't goodbye." Finnick whispered. "I'd never say goodbye to you." I signed but, in my mind,  I knew this was our way to say goodbye...by not saying goodbye. Johanna and I led Katniss who was pulling the coil. I didn't shed a single tear as we walked away, I knew it wouldn't help anything...it wouldn't take any pain.

it wouldn't take any pain

~ Flashback ~

Finnick and I spent the entire day in the water and now that the sun was going down, we walked on the shore. "I got something for you." Finnick said somewhat nervously. "Really?" I signed with wide eyes. "Yeah. Well, it's not a big deal it's just you've really been there for me during everything I wanted to thank you." Finnick said and I lightly smiled.

"Here." Finnick said placing a beautiful rock that was put on a chain in her hand. "Finn, it's beautiful. Seriously thank you." I signed and he smiled. "If you ever need someone to talk to, or sign to I'm here for you too." Finnick said and I began to feel guilty because even though he confided in me I haven't done the same.

~ End of Flashback ~

Johanna, Katniss, and I walked across the boulders that were in the jungle. "Come on. I want to put as much distance between me and this beach as possible. Frying is not how I want to go." Johanna said and the wire got caught on something. "What the hell." I signed staring at the wire that seemed to be caught on nothing. As Katniss tried to pull it the wire snapped. Katniss quickly dropped the coil and retracted an arrow.

Brutus and Enobaria soon kept from behind the boulders. Before Katniss could do anything, Johanna hit her over the head with something. "Johanna what the fuck!" I signed harshly and Johanna didn't say anything as she got on top of Katniss. "Keep them away!" Johanna yelled and I looked at her uneasily. "Now Lia!" Johanna yelled and I turned.

I pulled daggers from my leg and swiftly threw them towards them

I pulled daggers from my leg and swiftly threw them towards them. When I turned back towards Katniss and saw her on the ground covered in blood. "Get down!" Johanna yelled and I did as I was told. Johanna jumped on top of me as Johanna wiped some of Katniss' blood all over my face. "Stay down." Johanna said just above a whisper before running off causing Brutus and Enobaria to follow after her.