Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 5

The smell of horses welcomed Humban to the stables. It was different from the palace's scents—more earthy, but as pleasant in its own way. It reminded him of camping out in the desert.

He stopped outside the fifth stall. A stallion came to the door. His sleek, night-black coat gleamed in the sunlight flooding through a window and around him. He whinnied in greeting before nuzzling Humban.

"Of course I brought you something, Jalezar." Humban grinned as he held out a pear from his satchel. He blinked, and it was in the stallion's mouth.

Humban slipped into the stall and bolt the door closed behind him. That was no easy feat. The bags he carried threatened to overbalance him.

Napir had been generous in his allocation of supplies, so much so that Humban had reminded him he was going to be away for a month at most, not six. At least he wouldn't run out of food and water in the desert. That would kill him surer than an Amaluan goddess would.

Jalezar followed Humban to the equipment in the corner of the stall, his hooves thudding against the dirt floor. Humban set down the bags with a grunt. He was glad Jalezar would be carrying them across the desert.

"Are you ready for a mission?"

Jalezar gazed at Humban with his dark, intelligent eyes. He snorted, crunching his pear.

"Is that a 'yes' I hear?" Humban lifted the saddle from its rack.

The stallion listened as Humban explained their mission. He didn't made no reply, but the General knew his horse understood how important this was. Humban didn't need reinforcements, not when he had Jalezar.

No man could follow orders better or be there when Humban needed him. He didn't fear the journey to the legendary Amaluan city because Jalezar made him feel safe. Humban alone may not scare other men off, but an army horse with the power of ten men certainly would.

"So, we're going to be in Bennam until the Amaluan meeting. After we get the information we need, we'll return to Yasa. Can you handle it?" Humban placed Jalezar's saddle on his back.

Jalezar nosed at his satchel, and Humban knew what he wanted. He offered the horse another pear, which he snatched with his teeth.

"Just you and me for the next month, boy." Humban stroked Jalezar's neck.

Jalezar whinnied in answer. It sounded like he was saying he looked forward to that.

"Don't tell me you were leaving without saying goodbye," came a voice from the doorway.

Humban turned to see a figure with windswept curls standing with her arms crossed over her chest.

The Princess's red dress and gold-embroidered shawl looked out of place in the stable, like a flower that had sprouted up in the middle of the desert. The glare she wore wasn't as regal. The etiquette instructor whose company she had just left might go so far as to call it "unladylike".

"Vala." Humban nodded in greeting before turning back to Jalezar.

What was so urgent that the Princess had left her lessons and raced down to the stables to see Humban?

"Don't 'Vala' me." She rushed over and poked Humban in the shoulder. "What were you thinking, volunteering to spy on the Amaluans? The war effort is here, Humban. This is where we need you."

At the sound of her raised voice, Jalezar gave a plaintive neigh.

"I'm sorry," she crooned, patting Jalezar's head. "You're a good boy. Unlike your general." She turned her blazing eyes on Humban.