Chapter 3

The next day flies by faster than the first.

The team was on a case starting late last night, Emily informed me via email not to expect them back for a few hours at least.

I kept myself busy reading over their previous reports again, trying to take notes about what they each are like on the job.

Aaron Hotchner keeps his descriptions of each case thorough and qualitative, going into depth of each crime taken place, while his report on his own personal reflection is vague and almost as though he's writing it for someone else. I make a note to inform him this will not be okay to succeed with the new form.

Penelope Garcia uses colorful language while describing her recollection of events from a case, her personal reflection is the same way, not holding back how the traumatic events have hindered her outside of the workplace. I can tell she's not going to give me a problem but I make a note to consult with her regarding counseling options the bureau provides.

Derek Morgan writes his reports like an essay, minimum effort but makes sure to hit every topic from the case. His personal reflections are vague just like Hotchner's. I make a note for him as well to talk about writing them with a purpose.

Jennifer Jareau exceeds in the reflection of the cases, her language is strictly professional and it's as though she read it to herself aloud a few times before submitting. Her personal response is the same way but lacks in depth understanding of everything she puts herself daily. It's like it's just another job, not one where you see death, rape and unspeakable evil daily. I make a note to discuss with her why she doesn't like to discuss this and also encourage counseling if she's interested.

Emily Prentiss was born to write reports. Her words flow properly though her work, as if she's writing it for a new crime book. Brutal yet captivating. Her own reflection is honest and discusses her constant battle of her career choices being too much for her. I make a note to applaud her writing and to discuss if there is anything I can do to support her further to diffuse these thoughts since she is perfect for where she's at.

David Rossi writes just as beautifully as Emily. His words are clearly pulled from the strings of his heart, especially when he recalls the victims in each case. His reflection of himself is shocking. He finds the same debates within himself that Emily does, he feels like his time in the Bureau is long overdue, and that he already sacrificed too much for this job. I make note to discuss with him counseling options as well and support groups because of the mention of alcohol.

Spencer Reid. His words are like Emily's but they flow like music. Reading his report, I find myself picturing the case and the unsub with all the description he provides. He exceeds providing the details of everything. Location description, weather, people present, smells, sights they visit, and how they come to discover the unsubs identification. All of this makes me smile while reading it until I get to his own reflection. I'm shocked to see that the overachiever leaves them blank. Some have words erased, whitened out, or small doodles of what I believe are Halloween characters.

I make a note to talk to him about this, knowing he's already going to disagree with me.

-

As the office grows quieter and the rooms begin to vacate, I begin organizing my desk. Attempting to at least.

As I exit my office I'm shocked at the darkness flooding the space, realizing the time seemed earlier because of the lack of natural light in my office.

I walk past the empty cubicles, faster than I usually would. The empty space gives me an uneasy feeling, probably because I never got over my fear of the dark as a kid, but whatever.

As I reach the elevator doors a shuffling behind me causes me to slowly turn towards the noise as I press the down arrow.

The office is sad at night, the office lights lowly dimed barely illuminating the usually crowded space. I sigh looking away from the depressing sight.

"Hey!" A voice echoes through the vacant room, just as the elevator door slides open.

I jump, nearly falling to the wall. I think I yell too, but the fear of a serial killer standing behind me causes my ears to ring loudly.

I turn to the voice, mentally cursing myself, like I haven't seen a single horror movie before.

The awkward man before me causes my anxiety to ease. His smile spread from ear to ear nearly, knowing he frightened me.

"Jesus Spencer!" I scold, bringing my fingers to my eyebrow, out of habit to ease my thoughts.

"I'm sorry I thought you saw me when you walked by my desk." He laughs lightly, he turns his body towards the cubicles, motioning towards his.

"Oh, no I'm sorry I didn't. I was trying to get out of the horror movie setting this place gives me at night." I laugh, letting my fingers move away as we both move into the elevator.

He hits the 1st level and I thank him before he speaks.

"You're here late." He says, more questioning my presence.

"Just busy profiling the profilers." I joke, gently nudging him with my elbow. The action causes him to look down at the contact, instantly making me regret it.

Before I can apologize for the unprofessional gesture he starts talking.

"Oh really?" He grips the strap of his bag hung around his shoulders, moving it slightly closer to the front of his chest. "What have you discovered so far?"

"Well that's confidential, I wouldn't be able to tell you that." I give my best professional voice, hoping he understands my humor.

He doesn't, his eyes quickly shoot up to my face.

"I can tell you about your reports, but that's basically all Spencer." I smile, laughing lightly at the awkward situation I created assuming he enjoys sarcasm.

"What do my reports show you?" His eyes trail down my body, like he's already done it a million times.

I clear my throat before speaking, "Well I would be able to tell you a lot more about yourself if you completed the work."

"The personal reflection?" He sounds nearly offended, but his face displays concern.

"Well yes." I say just as the doors open.

"I find my personal reflection a waste of time. My feelings shouldn't hinder the importance of each case, Brooks." He says, following closely next to me as we exit through the same door of the building, our voices being the only noise around.

"I disagree." I say bluntly, not giving him the chance to continue. "Goodnight agent."

-

*Not Edited*