Chapter 1

"Can you please open your eyes? I'm bored, Rainkit!" Featherkit's voice woke Rainkit. Featherkit was her littermate, and she had opened her eyes already. I don't want to! Just leave me alone! Rainkit fidgeted in her shared nest with her mother, Lightnose.

"Be patient Featherkit, she'll open her eyes soon. But if she doesn't want to, don't." Lightnose meowed softly to Featherkit. I'll just open my eyes now, I guess, I wonder what Featherkit looks like!

"Featherkit! You're so pretty!" Rainkit exclaimed, admiring her littermates pelt as she examined Featherkit. Her eyes were green, like emeralds and her pelt was a shiny silver color. I hope I'm as pretty as that!

"Hey! You opened your eyes!" Featherkit looked at Rainkit.

"I guess," Rainkit agreed hesitantly.

"Your eyes are green too! Like mine!" Featherkit exclaimed, looking at Rainkit.

"They are? Cool!" Rainkit turned to stare at her sister's eye again. Is mine really like that? Rainkit's pelt was pale blue, groomed well by Lightnose, her eyes were identical to Featherkit's.

"Can we go play now?" Featherkit begged, her wide green eyes looking at Lightnose.

"Of course! And Rainkit, I see you've opened your eyes!" Lightnose agreed, and turned to look at Rainkit, giving her an affectionate lick. The added, more serious now, "just don't be rude!"

"Of course not!" Rainkit meowed indignant showing in her gaze. Does she think we're mouse brained?

"Okay, of you go then!" Lightnose nudged them to their paws, and they scurried out of the den, disappearing through the fern tunnel.

As soon as they entered the clearing, Rainkit gasped, "Wow! The camp is massive!" There were lots of different bushes and tunnels, and Rainkit was amazed at how big it was. It's so big! I can't wait to see where everything is!

"Hey there!" A huge tabby tom walked towards them, "who are you?"

"I'm Featherkit, and that's Rainkit!" Featherkit announced proudly to the tom, flicking her tail to Rainkit. "Who are you? How are you so big?" Featherkit gazed at him with huge eyes.

"I'm Mousepaw, and I'm an apprentice! Of course I'm bigger than you two!" Mousepaw let out a purr of amusement.

"Can you show us around then? We've only just opened our eyes!" Rainkit asked politely.

"Sure!" Mousepaw answered, "follow me!" He's so nice! He could be our friend! Rainkit followed, glancing at Mousepaw kindly.

He veered around the corner of the clearing and waving at a weaved bramble den. "This is the apprentices den! Where me and the other apprentices sleep."

The apprentices den was huge, weaved into a bramble thicket with brambles and ferns. It had a passageway, leading into the apprentices den.

"Come on!" Mousepaw walked ahead, leaving Featherkit and Rainkit behind.

"Hey! Wait for us!" Rainkit hurried forward, panting as she caught up, while Featherkit did the same. We're not apprentices you know! Rainkit shot a glare at Mousepaw.

"Oops, sorry!" Mousepaw slackened his pace so that they could follow more easily.

He then led the way to another den, "Here is the warriors den, I know, it's massive. Imagine being that big!" He meowed, showing them the den. It was almost identical to the apprentices den, except for its size and shape.

Rainkit looked at the den up and down, about to go in and check out what it was like, and Featherkit was about to follow, when Mousepaw forestalled them, "hey! You're not allowed to go in! It's for the warriors, unless a warrior takes you in."

"Fine," Featherkit shrugged, padding away from the den, while Rainkit gave the den another rueful look. I wish I was a warrior already! Then followed Featherkit.
"You've seen the apprentices den, and the warriors den, so now I'll show you the medicine cat den!" Mousepaw padded away, as Rainkit and Featherkit scampered beside him.

He stopped at a huge cave entrance, unlike all the other dens, this one wasn't weaved, it was just a cave, simple as that. But the den had a part where there is a weaved den in it too.

"Here is the medicine cat den! One of the most important dens." Mousepaw told them. Cool! Rainkit stared at it, it looked awesome!

"Hi there! I see you've brought kits here Mousepaw!" A cat padded out of the den, glancing at Mousepaw, then at Rainkit and Featherkit.

"Yeah Cloudheart, they're quite good." Mousepaw mrrowed, purring.

"What, quite good? We're awesome!" Featherkit retorted indignantly.

"Yeah! We're awesome!" Rainkit piped up behind her sister, adding.

"Well, kits, I'm Cloudheart, the medicine cat apprentice. My mentor, Ashtail, is the medicine cat." Cloudheart introduced herself to the kits with a purr.
"Come in if you like! I'm sure Ashtail won't mind!" Cloudheart invited, waving her tail at them, yes! We get to see the den!

Then, Cloudheart paused, is she changing her mind? Rainkit glanced at her anxiously. Cloudheart continued, adding, "Mousepaw, you'd better rest, I'm quite sure Stonefur will have something planned for you."

"Of course," Mousepaw dipped his head, and padded away into the clearing. Rainkit let out a sigh of relief, she hasn't changed her mind.

"Come on in!" Cloudheart called, trodding into the den already.

"Yes please!" Featherkit and Rainkit hurried inside, glancing around in awe. There was a tangy scent of herbs, but Rainkit ignored it. "What's that smell! It stinks!" Featherkit stuck out her tongue, she looked hilarious!

There was lots of holes for leaves Rainkit did not know, herbs, probably, since it's the medicine cat den. She guessed, but without getting a good look at the whole den, a voice came.

"Rainkit! Featherkit! Come here! Your father's here!" It was their mother calling to them from the fern tunnel.

"Okay! Coming!" Featherkit scampered to the fern tunnel eagerly, while Rainkit wasn't so eager. I didn't even finish exploring the den yet! She sighed.

"Thanks Cloudheart! But I have to go now." Rainkit told Cloudheart sadly, with a rueful look on her face.

"Of you go then! Come back next time!" Cloudheart nudged her, almost tipping Rainkit over, making her sway on her paws.

"I will!" Rainkit promised, joining her littermate to the nursery.