Girly Hips

Adopted from KudaKano with their permission.

Hiro hits his growth spurt and starts getting harassed.

***

Hiro was very busy with school and he hadn’t noticed at first that he’d grown taller.  It was his third month at San Fransokyo Tech and he was too wrapped up in his classes and projects to focus on much else. Homework wasn’t really a big deal.  Most of the kids were behind on it, including Tadashi, but Hiro usually got it done the day it was given out.  It was easy and he liked to get it over with so he could have more time to experiment with his robotic designs. He had so many ideas he wanted to work on, including advancements on his microbots. He was usually working on several different projects at once and his space in the workshop was littered with drawings and random materials. 

In fact, he barely left the school’s workshop. If it weren’t for Tadashi coming to get him before they walked home, Hiro would probably just spend the night there.

Hiro was walking towards Wasabi’s tool desk to borrow a wrench when he accidentally bumped into Gogo. The girl patted his shoulder in apology but he stopped in his tracks and stared at her because he just now realized that her eyes were level with his own.

“Gogo…did you get shorter?” Hiro asked without thinking.

The girl popped her gum and quirked her head to the side, fixing him with a funny look. “You’re the one going through puberty, robot boy.” She replied with a smirk.

Hiro blinked and then looked down at himself. He couldn’t believe he was now the same height as Gogo. He heard Tadashi laughing as the older Hamada walked up behind him. “Haven’t you noticed you’re getting taller, Hiro?” Tadashi asked before handing the boy a sandwich.

Hiro’s stomach grumbled as soon as he smelt the food and he immediately started shoving it into his mouth.  He would probably forget to eat altogether if Tadashi wasn’t constantly bringing him meals from the school café.

“f-ink I’ll get as f-all as –ou?” Hiro asked with a mouth full of food.  He was now comparing himself with Tadashi and using his hand to mark his exact height against his brother.

“Maybe even taller.” Tadashi chuckled and handed the boy some napkins. “Growth spurts are pretty surprising. You could grow as tall as Honey Lemon.”

Hiro swallowed and his eyes widened. “No way!”

He was excited now.  He was used to getting funny looks from people for being the shortest member of the school, though by now everyone knew he was a genius fourteen year old, it was still a little embarrassing when he had to use a stool in the library or when the professors couldn’t see his raised hand behind much taller students.

He wanted to look like he fit in with the rest of the school, but even more so, he wanted to look like Tadashi.

They were brothers, so Hiro was bound to grow into the same body type, right?

***

A week went by and none of Hiro’s clothes would fit him. He could barely button his shorts closed and his belly could be seen underneath every shirt and sweater.

Tadashi walked in on him just as he was trying on one of his big brother’s shirts.  Hiro smiled stupidly and then puffed out his chest, causing the shirt collar to slip over his shoulder.

“I think you’ve still got a few years before you can start barrowing my clothes.” Tadashi said with a laugh.

Aunt Cass took him shopping later that day. Apparently she had been saving up money specifically for when Hiro hit his growth spurt.