Chapter 22. Dueling Club ☾

A/N: All familiar content can be found in The Chamber of Secrets pg. 189

The day arrived that the Trio had been waiting for. Draco, Hermione, and Harry had talked about how much they wanted to see Snape beat Lockhart again. It had been the talk of the Room of Requirement for weeks now. They would finally get a chance to enjoy the scene, since they actually had someone to root for (Professor Snape, of course).

"Who do you think they'll call up for me to duel this time?" Harry asked nonchalantly as the waited for 8 o'clock to roll around.

"I don't know. Last time, Professor Snape was furious at me for pulling that snake trick. He had told me to use Rictumsempra or something else that was harmless. I chose to use a spell that my father had taught me. I thought it would be funny. I got detention for a week." Draco remembered.

"And here I thought you were Professor Snape's little pet." Harry teased. Draco smirked.

"He's the man who raised me. Of course, I respect and admire him, and yes, he does tend to spoil his godson," Draco added genially. "But I am not his pet."

"Sure acted like one." Hermione muttered. Draco threw a pillow at her.

At 7:55, the trio arrived at the Great Hall. They instantly became three bodies in a sea of students. Harry pondered on whether or not there were more students here this time than the last time around. He liked to think that Fate and Time decided to make a bigger crowd so that Lockhart was thoroughly ridiculed. It served the man right.

"Do you think there might be a way to ensure people don't think I'm the Heir of Slytherin after this club?" Harry asked. Hermione considered this.

"You could tell the snake to come to you. That way, it doesn't look like you set it on Justin." Hermione suggested. Harry nodded. He might just take her up on that advice.

The Great Hall doors flung open and Lockhart flounced in as Professor Snape stalked behind him. Harry had to hold in a giggle as he looked at Professor Snape's face. He did not look pleased.

"Gather around, gather around. Can all of you see me? Can all of you hear me? Good. Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves." Lockhart spoke with ease.

Harry leaned toward Draco. "Isn't that what he's supposed to be doing anyway as our DADA professor?" Harry asked. Draco stifled a laugh and nodded.

"...As I have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works." Lockhart added. "Now, let me introduce you to my assistant, who knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself, Professor Snape."

"A tiny little bit? He's the one who taught me to duel." Draco muttered under his breath. Harry smiled.

"You say that as if you're an immaculate dueler." Harry teased. Draco punched him in the shoulder.

"Hey, I can hold my own in a fight." Draco dueled.

"You lost ownership of the most powerful wand in the wizarding world because you let me disarm you." Harry countered. Draco rolled his eyes.

Lockhart continued with his spiel as Hermione, Draco, and Harry rolled their eyes. He really was completely self-involved.

"Now, we will be showing you how to disarm your opponent. Severus, I want you to try to disarm me on three. I will then use the Protego spell to block you." Lockhart explained. "Don't worry, Severus, I will go easy on you." Professor Snape rolled his eyes and got into position.