Episode 1.4

"Manager Wu! Wei Yingluo cheated!"

"What?" exclaimed Zhang Momo.

"I saw with my own eyes that Jixiang's cloth had blood on it. Wei Yingluo swapped it and finished it for her! The Palace has rules," Continued the girl, "If two people cheat, then both are to be thrown out." 

Manager Wu turned gravely to Yingluo, "Is this the case?"

Yingluo swallowed, she couldn't possibly get thrown out, not when she'd gotten this far!

"I-" Began Jixiang, hurrying to her knees in front of the two seniors, "I..."

"What is it? Don't dither, spit it out." 

Jixiang sniffled, "Zhang Momo, this was all my fault-"

"Who said we cheated?" Interrupted Yingluo, "Don't admit to things we haven't done!" 

She showed Manger Wu the two pieces of embroidery, "This one," She smiled, "Was an embroidered peony, but because it took so long, it needed both myself and Jixiang to work together to complete it."

"But-" Began the girl,

Yingluo cut her off, "When I gave the peony to Jixiang, was it completely finished? No, there were only a few stitches to finish off, and when I took Jixiang's it was the same case; it was only missing a few stitches. Isn't that so?"

No one could say it wasn't,  Yingluo had clearly said 'finish it off for me' when they had traded- in fact, the whole workshop had heard.

"Since both were incomplete, how can that be cheating?"

"Indeed," Agreed Zhang Momo, "I have never seen anything quite like this. Manager Wu, take another look."

Manager Wu scrutinised the embroidery with narrowed eyes. Then he smiled, "Very good, it is a good idea to work together."

 They had passed!

"Now all of you remember this, when you work in the palace you must say little, work more. The concubines hate tale-telling." He glanced at the girl, "Take her away, strike her off."

The girl immediately fell to her knees, shouting for forgiveness as the eunuchs hauled her away, Jinxiu lowered her eyes, recalling how close she was to a similar fate had she said another word.  

As the girl's shouts faded away, Zhang Momo turned to Jixiang, "Get up now." 

Yingluo offered a hand, pulling her up. Manager Wu smiled at them, "These two girls are not only extraordinary embroiderers, but they will also remain here as seamstresses."

Yingluo and Jixiang shared delighted smiles, her hands still bloody from the encounter with Lady Wuya.

----

Mingyu walked down the silent halls of Changchun Palace, the Empress' residence, with a tray of tea.

The Empress was sitting at her table with Erqing who was removing her heavy pieces of accessories. She was tired from the exchange with Noble Consort Gao and kneaded her shoulder uncomfortably.

Mingyu set down the tea and tray, "Your Majesty, you are far too forgiving! Watching the Noble Consort today, she was so full of herself! Whatever boundary or line she completely ignored it! And all her snide comments! Are you not angry at her?"

"You have been in the palace for a few years now," Said Empress Fuca, calmly picking up her tea, "Do you still not know what kind of person she is? Today was the selection ceremony, we cannot afford to dispute over such trifles."

"What trifles?!" Exclaimed Mingyu, "Your servant just cannot stand her arrogance! You are the mother of the nation, mother of all under heaven- and what is she? She just wants to be the mistress of Changchun Palace!"