Prolouge

As I walked through the dreaded gates of the rose garden, I sighed. Father wanted me to come out here at 10:00 at night, every night. It was "Strictly in memoriam of Mother. No messing around." I grip the flashlight as I hear the creaky gate shut behind me. It's terrifying here. If I make a wrong turn, I could never go back home. Never see my father again. I had a brother and a sister, both of which were twins, but my brother was drafted to a war and my sister married a tall, handsome young man named James. I didn't like him, and one day he tried to poison my drink, but instead of me drinking it, his beloved Angelica did, and died instantly.

I am tired of this. Everything around me is falling apart. My mother died of an unknown disease, all my father does is work and drink, and I have school and this creepy garden I'm supposed to take care of. My thigh high black dress blows in the cold wind. I shiver, and quickly walk over to the first bush and water it, wanting to get out of this haunting garden. I feel someone brush past me and I hear another watering can. I turn to my right and a pale figure disappears.

"Hello?" I call, setting down the watering can. The wind blows again, and I cross my arms, trying to keep warm. I heard rustling in the white roses, and I stare at them

"Maria, don't stand there, water the roses!" My father called from the house, making me drop the flashlight. I sigh deeply, tears threatening to fall, but I wipe them away. Stop being a baby, you're 15. I tell myself as I continue watering the wilting red roses. I hear rustling in the bushes, and I throw the watering can down, and the back gate is open. I sigh and grab the flashlight from where I dropped it. I walk slowly to the gate, stepping over the white roses.

We had 5 rules for when Mother died.

Water the roses every night at 10:00. You have until 10:30 to be inside.

Never go past the white roses.

Always go straight to school and back.

No talking back

Always complete your chores by 5:00 pm.

I Look at my watch. 10:30. I look at the gate, then back at my house. I step through the gate.

Screw it, why not?