Chapter 18: The Grandparents

There's two weeks left before the second tournament and you just remembered that Harry had your moms letter.

'Harry, do you still have my moms letter?' You ask him.

'Oh, yeah. There's two now, actually. Let me go get them.' He gets up off the couch and goes into his dorm. 'Here you go.' He says as he hands you the letters.

You sit in silence and start with the first one.

Dear (y/n),
I'm sorry you're feeling this way again. Remember what I always told you. It's a short term problem that'll be solved quickly, don't make it a long term problem. Everything will be okay. Also, remember your father is watching over you and protecting you. You'll be okay, love.
Love, mom.

You smile and start to read the next note.

Dear (y/n),
I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you're doing okay. I have some bad news to tell you. Your grandparents passed away. It was peaceful. They were both in bed asleep when it happened. I'm sorry to tell you in letter, I just don't want you to figure out months later when you come home. I hope you understand. Write when you can.
Love, mom.

You start crying. Harry looks over at you and looks down at the note. He gently takes it from your hands and you don't even move. He scans the letter and gives you a hug. You pull away and lay on his lap and cry. He strokes your hair as you look into the fire.

'I was so caught up in everything that I didn't even write them.' You start crying even more. 'I may have not known them long, but God I loved them. They were the only grandparents I had and now they're gone. Why didn't I just write to them? I told them I would but I didn't.' You cover your face while Harry continues to stroke your hair.

'What's going on? (y/n)! Oh my God, are you okay?' Hermonie says while running down the stairs. Harry hands her the note and she reads it. She quickly clasps her hand over her mouth and lays her head down on your stomach. 'I'm so sorry, love. You need to write your mother back soon though. Harry, how long have you had this?'

'A week, I think.'

'I will when I calm down. I knew it was coming. They haven't been doing well for a couple of years. I just hate that my mom is all alone now. With dad gone and now her parents, she's alone. And I didn't even write them like I said I would.' You feel extremely guilty and cry even harder.

Ron enters the common room looking confused. He walks over to the couch and Hermonie gives him the letter. He picks up your legs and lays them on his thighs. It's not much, but it's comfort.

'Thank you, you guys. For being here. You mean a lot to me.' You say smiling. You sit up between Harry and Ron, wiping your tears. 'I think I'll go write her now. Better to do it now then later and be sad all over again.'

You walk to Hermonie's dorm room and grab a paper and quill. You sit down at the desk and start writing to your mom.

Dear mom,
I'm sorry I never wrote. Things have been... complicated. It slipped my mind. I knew about your first letter but I told Harry to keep it for the time being because a lot was going on. We had a Yule Ball. It was fun. Harry was my date and I even danced with Ron. It's okay that you told me in letter. You're right, better than finding out months later when I come home for summer. I hope you're doing okay. I hate that you're alone and I'm sorry that I never wrote them. This year has been... a lot. Even more than the past two years. I love you. You can always write to me when you need to. Harry will let me know.
Love, (y/n)

The page has a few tear marks, but that's okay. You can still read it. You put it in an envelope and head back down to the common room.

'Harry, come with me to the owlery please?' He immediately gets up off the couch and you two head to the owlery.

'Do you want to talk about them?' Harry asks.

'Not now. I just want to think about the memories. Maybe in a few days.' You say looking at him. You give him a weak smile and make your way up the stairs.

You see Hedwig and give her a smile. You walk up to her and pet her, then hand her the letter.

'Take this to mom, please.' But Hedwig just sits there and tilts her head. 'Oh, sorry.' You say laughing as you reach into your pocket and grab a treat. 'Here you go.' She takes the treat then takes the letter and flies away.

'Have you heard anything from Sirius yet?' You ask Harry. But he just shakes his head no.

'Maybe in a few more weeks. Most likely right before the next tournament.'

You both leave the owlery and you stop at the bottom of the steps. Harry doesn't notice so you pick up a snowball and throw it at his back. He turns around and you start laughing. He tries to make a snowball, but you're quicker and you hit him in the chest.

'Come on, that's not fair!' He says pouting.

'I win. Now come on, it's cold and I wanna go back inside.' You say walking back to him. You link your arm in his and head back to the common room together.

Before you make it up the stairs, Malfoy stops the both of you.

'I want to talk to her.' He says giving Harry a glare.

He ignores him and grabs your hand to take you up to the common room. Malfoy grabs ahold of Harry. You look at the both of them and roll your eyes.

'Harry, just go. I'm not in the mood for you guys' bickering. Come back in about ten minutes so I can get back into the common room, okay?' Harry gives Malfoy a glare and walks back to the common room alone.

'What do you want, Malfoy? I thought I've told you multiple times to leave me alone.'

'Are you two together?'

'Are you kidding me?! That doesn't concern you. My life doesn't concern you. I don't concern you.'

He looks at the ground sadly. You don't like being mean to him, but you need to keep a wall up or he's going to keep hurting you. Enough has already happened this year and nothing worse needs to happen.

'Why does it matter if we're together?'

'It doesn't matter anymore.' He turns around and leaves.

A piece of paper falls out of his pocket and you silently go to pick it up. He doesn't notice so you shove the paper into your pocket and head to the common room, Harry is standing outside the door.

'What did he want?' He asks while looking around for Malfoy.

'The usual.' You sigh. 'Come on, lets go inside.'