Chapter 2

Fireheart sat at the base of the Highrock as the Clan gathered. He was shaking in fear, for he knew that Tigerclaw's idea of "training" could likely lead to his death.

"Cats of ThunderClan," Tigerclaw called from the top of the rock. Fireheart held his breath as he readied himself to be denounced. "Last night, I received my nine lives from StarClan. That means that they support me in my desire to be leader."

"Tigerstar! Tigerstar!" The rogues called. They growled and bared their teeth at the Clan cats until they joined in. "Tigerstar! T-Tigerstar!"

How could StarClan allow this? Fireheart felt hopeless, as helpless as a newborn kit. Surely they must know that Tigerstar will kill us all!

Tigerstar waved his tail, and the crowd immediately went silent. "Today, I have an important ceremony to perform—"

"Ooo, he means us!" The whole Clan turned to look at the cat who had spoken. It was Sootkit. "We're going to be apprentices!"

One of the rogues leaped forward and snatched Sootkit. It took the tom a moment to realize what was happening, but by then it was too late. Crunch. The rogue dropped the limp form of the kit onto the grass and let his blood pool around him.

"My kit!" Willowpelt screeched, diving forward to her son. Tangleburr and Mowgli snatched the queen and held her down while she cried out in pain.

   "You promised that her kits wouldn't be harmed!" Fireheart yowled furiously at Tigerstar.

   The leader simply flicked his tail, but Fireheart could see in his eyes that even he was startled. "Scarlet, you are not to act without my orders," he snarled, unsheathing his claws.

   The black she-cat stood strongly, but her bottom lip quivered. "Y-yes, sir. It won't happen again."

   Tigerstar grunted. "It better not." He turned back to the rest of the Clan, who were still sitting in a shocked and horrified silence. "Anyways, like I was saying, yesterday in the battle, many of you fought very well. I was impressed. But one cat was quite a coward."

   "Fireheart, step forward," some cats in the crowd gasped, but quickly shut their jaws when the rogues slid out their claws. "You did not prove your loyalty to me in the battle yesterday. Instead of giving you the punishment you deserve, I will keep you alive," his eyes glittered menacingly down at the dark ginger tom. "By my power as the leader of ThunderClan, I denounce you to an apprentice under the name of Firepaw. I will be your mentor, and this time, you will not fail."

   No cats cheered his name as Firepaw stepped forward to touch noses with Tigerstar. The tom lead forward just as they were pulling apart and hissed, "That wasn't so hard, was it, kittypet?"

   Firepaw felt a growl rumbling in his throat, but he forced his fur to lie flat. Don't let him get under your fur. That's what he wants.

   He padded back to sit next to his closest friend, who immediately leaned over to murmur in his ear, "This is madness. Surely I just ate too much food last night and this is all a nightmare induced by a bellyache?"

   All Firepaw could do was sigh and shake his head as tears welled in his eyes. "It's real Graystripe. It's all real."

                             ~~❤︎❤︎❤︎~~

"Oh, Firepaw."

The dark ginger tom stuck his head out of the nursery and curled his lip. "Yes, Tigerstar?" He spat out the leader's suffix, still unable to accept that StarClan could be so cruel.