6. champions

TRAINING WHEELS—
champions.

006

The tables in the Great Hall had been shifted around to make more room for the important assembly that was about to take place. It had been the talk of the school all week and everybody was dying to know whose names were going to be pulled out of the Goblet of Fire.

Amora had had a rather restless nights sleep prior to today. She tossed and turned all night long, her golden duvet ending up down by her feet one moment and then up by her neck the moment after. She even went to sit down in the common room after a few hours, staring at the fire with amber eyes and her legs curled to her chest.

The brunette was more than thankful that her friends were too young to put their names inside the Goblet and that she only had to stress over Cedric. She'd grown up best friends with her cousin. As they grew older, they drifted apart a little, the three year age gap sometimes proving differences in maturity and different interests, but they loved one another dearly.

If anybody asked Amora who her first friend was, it was Cedric Diggory. She knew on his bedside table that he had a picture of him at merely three or four with Amora sitting in his arms, only a few months old. It swelled her heart when she found out about it.

"Amora, stop biting your nails," Hermione scolded, smacking the shorter girl's hand.

Amora lowered her fingers. She hadn't even realised that she had been biting at them from where she sat at one of the tables, watching the chaos of the four houses merging and sitting wherever their hearts desired. Most of the Slytherins stuck to themselves, including Draco and his gang. He had Pansy Parkinson speaking in one of his ears, but Draco looked bored, resting his chin on his hand and staring at nothing. They were sat by the Durmstrang boys, right near the front.

"Sorry..." She apologised with a small sigh. "I didn't even know I was doing it."

"Let the girl chew her nails, Hermione," Ron sat down behind them on a bench a little higher up, Leon and Neville on the other side. "It's either that or she makes those knots in the ends of her hair."

Amora turned and sent the ginger boy a small glare. "I don't do that anymore," she huffed. "I stopped over the summer."

"I can tell," Hermione beamed, reaching a hand out and holding the ends of Amora's dark locks. "It looks so healthy."

One thing Amora always did absentmindedly was fiddle with the ends of her hair, except when she was nervous, she would sort of mat it together by rubbing a small lock between her fingers, and then she'd run her fingers through the small knot as if to soothe her. She always kept her hair in plaits to try and stop her from doing it, but over the summer she'd worked on her bad habit, and thus her beautiful hair was down and ready to be admired by... Well, probably just Hermione, really.

"Thanks, Hermione," Amora smiled back.

"What about mine?" Leon teased, poking his head through the two girls' shoulders.

"You need a haircut," Amora reached out and ruffled her hand through his dirty blond hair.

Hermione giggled. "Honestly. You're starting to look like the twins."

"Hey," George turned around from the bench in front of them to glare and then turned back around, self consciously running a large hand through his ginger hair which had grown to nearly his shoulders.

"Sit down, please," Professor Dumbledore suddenly called from in between the four tables, and sure enough everybody listened to him, the Great Hall falling silent. "And now the moment you've all been waiting for... The Champion Selection."