prologue.

Nikki's Point Of Veiw

Hannah and I were walking through the usual alley ways towards the place we worked in;  Starbucks. This walking, being our usual routine was not as usual as I expected it to be every day. I felt something unordinary this morning and it sent chills run down my spine as I looked around the awfully quiet place that surrounded us. It felt more unordinary because just a week ago; I felt like everything was settling down to where it was suppose to be. But when this silence surrounded us, everything became to feel like we just moved here and was so cautious of our surroundings. Going down the road from where our condominium was, the breeze felt undeniably colder, the place looked rather dead and I felt nervous all of a sudden. Reaching our place of work, a voice made me jolt up from my observing;

“Are you okay?” Hannah asked, making me turn to her.

“Yeah,” I trailed off. “But everything feels so odd.” I muttered, going through the doors of our work.

“I know.” She replied, looking as worried as I was.

The silence snuck in fast as our worried looks still stayed. We went to the employee room and put our bags inside our lockers and switched the television on and put it into the morning news. The only ordinary thing that happened here is that we were early as usual.

Rumored unknown virus started in the Philippines are currently being investigated but as we all know, let’s be careful around here.” The reporter finished her statement, I looked at Hannah, she looked at me.

“I knew something’s wrong.” Hannah sighed, shaking her head. She always had theories about this kind of stuff.

“It’s just a rumor. Brush it off.” I said as our day began to start when our co-workers arrived.

~.~.~

7:59 PM

It was every 8 am – 4 pm when people pile up in groups to go here but most were our regulars who I and Hannah had memorized their orders.

The crowd died down when the clock went on 5 pm and everything calmed down.

Now, there were barely any customers so I just stood beside Hannah, talking about this cute guy. But as we chatted the time away, a boy that apparently caught Hannah’s eyes. He had pale skin, dyed hair (it was the darkest shade of blue and it fitted him perfectly), his smile was infectious. But as always, he wasn’t my type; he was Hannah’s type. So I let Hannah be and make her take his order.

Apparently, his name was Dylan and when he was finished with his order, he smiled widely at her and went to take a seat.

After a few minutes or so, he was greeted by this group of people who sat near the flat screen tv, watching intently at the news.

Lock everything down, I repeat lock everything down.” The reporter was cut down and soon there was no signal anymore. The group of guys closed the shop down as I asked what was going on again and again but no one dared to answer. I began to panic because I’m pretty sure our boss would be furious about this.

“Can someone tell me what’s going on?” everyone stopped dead at their tracks and looked at me as my shouting called their attention. One did move.

“Do you want to know why,” he paused to look at my name tag. “Well, Nikki, it is because this fucking virus that seemed to have created zombies are now roaming the outskirts of this place!” He exclaimed at me, I rolled my eyes at him.

Yes. I know about zombies but what I also know that they are just fiction.

“How’d you know, huh?” I asked him, cocking an eyebrow. Maybe they were robbers, hostage takers but I’m not even scared.

“How’d I know? Maybe because I shot one myself.” He growled, snickering at me. He turned his back at me and walked to his friends that were stacking chairs in front of the glass windows and glass doors.

‘This couldn’t really be happening. This must be a dream. This isn’t real.’ I kept thinking as I went inside the employee room; where I found Hannah collecting all the knives she got.

“What the hell are you doing?” I asked, frowning at her. “Do you seriously believe this bullshit?” I asked once more and crossed my arms.

“I don’t care if it’s real or not, I just want the thrill.” She chuckled lightly as if there was no “lockdown” of some sort happening outside of this very room.

I heard screeching and growling and more inhuman sounds from outside and I honestly felt frightened. But what got me more frightened, was the sound of a gun firing off.