Think Lovely Thoughts

"Think lovely thoughts" she whispered to herself, just as she had done every night since her father was taken. Since he was drafted to the Ogre's war. Since she was left to take care of their home and wait for his return.
Y/N took a deep breath and closed her eyes, repeating to herself, "Think lovely thoughts and lovely things will follow."
This simple reassuring phrase had been enough to replace the nightmares of her father fighting a losing battle, with lovely dreams of a far off land, full to bursting with magic.
This Neverland was much better than real life. In this world, no one could hurt her. In her dreams, she was safe. When she was awake she was constantly aware of the war and her steadily approaching birthday; how she would be required to fight this time next year. She was aware of just how keenly she missed her father and how empty the house felt without him. But at night she was free from that worry.
"Think lovely thoughts." She smiled sleepily as she drifted into a dream world.

Her perfect night in Neverland replayed itself in her mind all the next morning. The memory draped over her like a sheet, protecting and comforting and tinting the world around her. Clouds seemed to be horses and dragons to her that morning as she walked. The water sparkled like a sky full of stars as she pulled it from the well. Even her bucket, heavy and full, felt impossibly light on her shoulders as she wandered back home. She hummed to herself as she worked, the chores feeling good to her just then, giving her something real she could do.
As she crested the hill she stopped and stared. The sky was turning the dusty blue of morning. From her perch high above, she could see her home and the few dozen neighboring houses in her village. She sat and watched with her chin in her hands as the town began to stir, waking slowly, and stretching. After a night of silence, the sounds of friendly chatter drifted up the hill to meet her. As she watched, the scene in front of her gradually grew faster. Everyone seemed in a hurry, moving busily from one mundane task to another.
She searched the scene below her, looking for calm in the chaos. Her eye caught on a small girl sitting in front of her house. She too was studying the small crowd, looking for something.
Y/N called down to the girl, "Kate!"
Kate's head snapped up and a huge smile split across her face as she caught sight of Y/N. It was contagious and Y/N found herself grinning too as she stumbled back from Kate's tackle hug. They effectively spilled most of the water but Y/N couldn't bring herself to care.
The two girls rocked back and forth for a moment still wrapped in each other's arms. Y/N broke away first. Pulling back just enough to hold Kate at an arm's length.
"Happy Birthday!" she cheered, beaming at her friend.
Kate's eyes sparkled with excitement as she giggled, "Thank you." She took both of Y/N's hands in hers and leaned in conspiratorially, "I have a surprise."
"What is it?" Y/N whispered, matching Kate's tone.
"Ma says, for my birthday I don't have any chores. We can spend the whole day however we want!"
"That's amazing!" Y/N clapped her hands excitedly, "Actually, I have a surprise too. Close your eyes."
Kate's eyebrows knit together in confusion before she firmly shut her eyes. Y/N reached into her pocket and pulled out a small pouch.
"Hold out your hands."
Kate complied, holding both hands straight out in front of her. Y/N opened the small bag and handed her the contents. The coins jingled as they fell.
"Ok, you can look now."
Kate's eyes fluttered open, her jaw dropping as she caught sight of the money.
Y/N began explaining herself before Kate got the chance to ask. "I was hoping to get three silver pieces and give them to you as a birthday gift. You know, because the best things come in threes. But it didn't quite work out. I got close though! There are two silver pieces and four coppers and that makes six coins which is like two threes which I'm sure is twice as lucky. It's not quite the same but..." she trailed off grinning from ear to ear.
Once Kate had gathered herself she asked, "Where did you get all of this?"
"I earned it doing chores and running arends for neighbors, but that doesn't matter because it's yours now."
Understanding dawned on Kate's face. Y/N was alone in the house but still very well taken care of. After her father was drafted a few of the town's mothers took it upon themselves to watch out for her. She wouldn't leave her home for the sake of the memories she had there but things tended to work out. Neighbors often had extra eggs or vegetables they simply had to get rid of. People eagerly bought the last of the leather her father had cured. One kind woman, Miss McNiel, even went so far as to claim a back injury and refuse to sweep when Y/N was available. No one in their village was wealthy but Miss McNiel played for the service when she could.
Kate shook her head, " No, I can't take all of this. You worked so hard for it."
"Of course you can! I was thinking we would go into town and buy you something nice with it. Whatever you want." She could see Kate was getting ready to argue again so she added quickly, "And then we could go to the docks."
The argument died on Kate's tongue just as Y/N knew it would. Kate would never turn down an opportunity to go to the docks, it was her favorite place in the world.
Y/N held out her arm as Kate considered. "Come on, please?"
"Oh," Kate rolled her eyes, "All right then."
"Yes!" Y/N pumped her fist in the air, then looped her arm through Kate's, and the girls set off on the path to town.
The two chattered over the prospect of almond cakes and new boots the coins could buy. A slight lull in noise prompted Katie to droll, "so, did you go?"
"Go where?"
"You know." Katie bumped Y/N's shoulder teasingly, "To Neverland, last night. Did you go?"
Y/N looked down quickly, trying to hide her smile. "Yeah, I went."
"And?"
"And what?"
"And did you see him again? The mystery boy." She wiggled her fingers like a child trying, and failing, to tell a ghost story.
Suppressing a laugh, Y/N pushed Kate's hands back down. "Ok, first of all I never saw any 'mystery boy' ok? Just a pair of eyes, hiding in a tree, in a dream I had one night. It wasn't even a real tree. It was a dream tree ok? And secondly, no. No, I did not see the eyes again last night."
"But." Kate pressed
"But what?"
"You're not telling me everything. Don't give me that look, I know I'm right. I can just tell."
Y/N threw up her arms exasperated, she could never get anything past Kate. She gave a long melodramatic sigh and relented. "Fine. No, I didn't see anyone last night, but I had this nagging feeling that someone was watching me."
"Someone with green eyes?"
"Maybe."
Kate made a happy little squeak sound and cheered, "And it was love at first sight!"
"I never even saw him!"
"But maybe he fell in love at first sight."
"I'm pretty sure these things are meant to work both ways. Besides, I don't think I want anyone falling in love with me and then watching from the trees."
"I thought you said they weren't real trees."
Y/N gave her a withering look and Kate put both hands up in a gesture of peace. "All right, all right, fine." And then under her breath, "Just give it a few nights, we'll get there."
Y/N scoffed and shoved Kate, who was now giggling like a schoolgirl. Kate pushed right back and the two kept laughing and teasing and shoving each other good naturedly all the way into town.

Y/N fiddled with the small coin pouch, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "Ok ok ok! Where do you want to go first? We could get food if you're hungry or there's a jeweler if you want something sparkly or we could go to the clothing shop and get you a new pair of shoes. I know you've been wanting some winter boots and it'll be getting colder soon so—"
"Whoa, slow down." Y/N was talking so fast her words had started to blur together. "Why don't we just—" Kate froze mid sentence, her face growing serious. "Do you hear that?"
Y/N stilled as well, straining to hear what Kate was talking about. Eventually she could make out the sound of hoofbeats in the distance, growing steadily louder. But that was nothing to be afraid of. People rode into town all the time; but as the rhythmic sound grew louder she could separate the sounds of many horses. Their hooves pounded constantly faster like anxious heartbeats.
That might be a reason to worry. People rode into town often enough, but hardly ever many at once. And never riding that fast.
Y/N looked down the road, trying to see through the glaring sun. She quintet until she saw them: five large battle horses. On top sat five broad shouldered men. Five men on battle horses, wearing shining silver armor and serious expressions could only be one thing. Both girls knew even before they could see the symbol of The Dark one or the king's crest on their saddle blankets.
They were the king's dark knights, and they only ever came into town for one reason.
Someone was being drafted to the Ogars War.

"Where is Kadence Smith?" Boomed the soldier's gruff voice. He sat tall and imposing, reading from a weather beaten parchment. His men sat positioned behind him.
"Sir?" Y/N called quietly, shrinking back a little when the man's cold gaze landed on her. She took a deep breath, willing her voice not to shake as she continued, "I'm here with Kadence, but there must be some mistake. She's only 15, she should have another year."
The man gave a low, humorless chuckle, and swung off his horse. "No mistake here sweetheart. The age dropped just last week." He sneered and slowly walked to Kate, lifting her chin with one finger. "But, there's no need to worry. I'm sure she'll make a lovely little soldier."
Kate jerked her head away, glaring daggers at the man. "Don't touch me," she growled.
The man laughed again, deep in his throat, "See? She's already got the fighting spirit." He grabbed Kate's arm and began pulling her towards his horse.
Y/N rushed forward and latched herself onto his other arm, digging her heels into the ground. "But her family won't know where she's gone! They thought they had another year. Can't you allow her a day to say goodbye?"
"No time. I couldn't let her leave if I wanted to."
"Then at least let me say goodbye. I'm right here. You have the time." She was pleading with the knight by then.
The man stared at her for a moment, gnawing the inside of his cheek and sizing her up with his eyes. "Fine," he spat, "But make it quick. We've no time for nonsense."
He reluctantly released Kate's arm and Y/N ran to her. Kate's eyes were full of tears but her jaw was set firm. Y/N wrapped her arms around her friend, afraid if she let go they might both fall apart.
"Y/N?" Kate whispered, her voice trembling.
"Yeah?" Tears were streaming openly down Y/N's face but she didn't care. She wouldn't let go.
"I want you to run."
"What?"
The uncertainty was gone from Kate's voice now. She spoke in a steady whisper, determined in Y/N's ear. "Don't let them do this to you. I want you to run." Then she pulled away.
Y/N stood frozen in place, scared and confused. She watched Kate nod once, wipe the tears from her face, then allow herself to be pulled away by the man. She held her head high, not looking back as she mounted along with one of the soldiers and was taken away.