The Island Come True

She squeezed her eyes closed as the ship sailed over the precipice and they began falling. There were flashes of color behind her eyelids and the uneasy feeling of her stomach suddenly much too high in her middle. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep herself from crying out.
    Then, all at once, it was over.
    The boat came out of the portal and hit the water like stone. The impact was jaring and abrupt and Y/N's knees suddenly refused to support her. They buckled and she was on her way to the ground when a pair of strong arms stopped her fall.
    Her eyes went wide, looking at the pirate who had caught her. His eyes were wide too but more with concern than fear. "Whoa there, are you alright, miss?"
    "Yeah, yeah I'm fine."
    "Are you sure? You're shaking."
    He was right. Now that she checked, she was shaking hard. "I— I think I should sit down."
    The man nodded quickly and eased her to the ground. He sat down with her, supporting her weight. She was too stunned to care.
    "I can't believe I did that." She whispered, her voice trembling. "What on Earth did I just do?"
    "You just made history," the man whispered. Y/N looked him in the eye and he smiled. "You just traveled to Neverland. You made it. You're safe."
    She made it. She was safe. She was in Neverland. Ha! She was in Neverland. She made it!
    She let out a delirious little laugh and pumped both fists in the air, cheering "To Neverland!"
    The pirate on the floor with her smiled and repeated the cheer. The rest of the crew followed, laughing and hollering and grinning. Every one of them.
    Y/N sat in a heap on the floor, totally drained physically and emotionally. It had been a long- How long had it been? A day and a half? Had Kate really only been taken yesterday? She sighed wearily, leaning into the man on the ground with her. He wasn't really a man, she could see now that she got a good look at him. No, he couldn't be much older than she was. He looked sixteen, maybe seventeen. He was still a boy, a very strong boy but still young.
    She looked up at him from her position on the ground, studying his face. She noticed his kind blue eyes and jet black hair that had been tousled by the whirlpool and the wind. He had a sharp jawline and a soft rosy glow to his face, and an eir of adventure about him. Y/N smiled to herself. He really was very handsome. And it seemed quite the gentleman. He had caught her and still hadn't let go.
    Wait. She blinked hard and all at once she was back. She was in the arms of a boy she didn't know, laying in the deck of a pirate ship and, oh goodness, had she been staring?
    She quickly pulled away, clearing her throat she stammered, "Sorry, Uh thank you Mr—"
    "James. No Mr, it's just James and it's no trouble. I'm glad I could help Miss—"
    "Y/N"
    He smiled at her and his eyes lit up as he did. "Well then, I'm glad I could help, Miss Y/N."
    Y/N felt her cheeks warm and she quickly looked down, trying to hide behind her hair. She was saved from having to respond by a gruff voice calling out, "Um James? You'll want to see this."
    Y/N looked up to see most of the crew had gathered at the edge of the ship, gawking at what they saw. She turned back to James who smiled again, offering a hand. "What do you say Y/N? Shall we?"
    She took his offered hand only a little hesitantly. Looking into his face she could see his excitement, and she felt her eagerness grow to match his. She grinned and nodded enthusiastically. He helped the girl to her feet. Then, without letting go of her hand, he led her to the rail. She walked with him, eyes down, her shoulders tense, uncomfortable around the unfamiliar crew. When James stopped walking she took a deep breath and looked up. The air in her lungs left her all at once as she sood with her mouth hanging open.
    The island in front of her was exactly what she had seen in her dreams, only now she saw it in the daylight and it was stunning. From where she stood she could see huge mountains looming over a vast expanse of thick green forest. There were sparkling waterfalls spilling over dramatic looking cliffs and surrounding it all was the clearest ocean she had ever seen, glistening in the sunlight.
    It was literally the stuff of dreams. Y/N pinched her arm just to check. Just to be sure. It stung. She wasn't dreaming. She really was here, in Neverland.
    A shocked, happy little squeak sound escaped her lips and she covered her mouth with her hands, bouncing on the balls of her feet. She was here and she was so excited she could hug someone. She did. Impulsively, she jumped on James wrapping her arms around his neck. He caught her and laughed.
    "What's this for?"
    "For actually getting me here. That and you were closest."
    He laughed and set her down, twirling her with one arm.
    She caught her balance again and ran back to the rail, her hands covering a huge grin as she took it all in. She turned back to James, still bouncing on the balls of her feet. "We should do something to celebrate!"
    He chuckled, clearly entertained by her excitement "Like what little miss?"
    "I don't know. Like, a dance or something."
    James smiled and turned to Hook, calling from across the boat, "What do you say captain? Could we have some music tonight?"
    Hook looked from his crew to James to Smee and then down at the girl. He had been ready to say no but the look on her face was so hopeful, so sincere. She seemed so excited and he couldn't do it. It would seem she had grown on him besides, he had a bit of a soft spot for little girls. He let out a quiet, defeated sigh and gave in. "Why not?"
    The crew broke into a cheer and this time she joined them.

    That night, they held a dance, and it was more fun than Y/N ever would have expected. There was music and food and Hook even let her try a sip of ale, which she found she did not enjoy at all. She laughed, and sang and danced with the men late into the night, all the while growing closer to her new pirate friends. They seemed to grow more comfortable around her as well. The crew gravitated towards her more and more as the night went on.
    The bright blue color of the sky faded into a dusty purple haze and eventually turned to a beep black, punctuated with bright glistening stars. Once it had gotten late enough, and the stars had made their appearance, Hook announced the last song before, as he put it, "They would be done with this foolishness and he could finally enjoy some quiet!" All though there was no edge to his voice and the look on his face suggested he was enjoying watching them all have a good time just as much as he would have liked some peace and quiet.
    The few men playing loots and drums started a slower song to help everyone calm down a bit before bed.
    Y/N stood stiff, still in the middle of the floor, suddenly feeling very awkward. She had no idea what to do with herself or if she should even still be out here. She had made up her mind to go back to her barricade and watch the last song when a body, suddenly in the way, blocked her escape.
    She looked up to see James smiling brightly and offering a hand. "Care to dance miss Y/N?
    She smiled up at him, cocking her head to the side and took his hand, "Why yes Sir James, I think I would."
    He pulled her closer, holding one hand up and pressing the other gently against her back. She fell into the position she had learned long ago from her father and they set off. James led her around the room as they waltzed to the music. He spun her once and lowered her into a dip.
    She came back up giggling only to see another pirate standing next to James, bowing his head as he offered his hand. "May I?" He asked simply.
    Y/N looked to James and he nodded and passed her over to the newcomer. She hadn't even danced with him for a full minute before another took his place, politely asking permission before twirling her away.
    Y/N continued dancing around the ship. She spun and hoped and swayed up and down the deck, her partner constantly changing all the while. The men were obviously out of practice being civil and their attempts were as endearing as they were entertaining.
    She was twirled into a new set of arms and she looked up, expecting to see another pirate she didn't know. She was surprised to see it was James again. She beamed up at him, excited to be with someone she knew a bit better. He smiled back down and they continued dancing. Slowly at first, although the music soon sped up, and so did their steps. Y/N giggled excitedly as she skipped and hoped to the beat and James grinned at her innocent excitement.
    Y/N jumped up and down with James, smiling hugely until she suddenly felt his strong hands around her waist. She gasped as he tossed her into the air, for a moment feeling like she was flying, before he had caught her again and eased her to the ground. The music drew to a close and James bowed. Y/N curtsied back, still giggling like mad.
    He smiled at her and shook his head teasingly before he took her hand back in his and spun her away one more time. She laughed and twirled, her arms flying out beside her as she tilted her head back, looking up at the stars.
    Her breath caught and she stopped. She could have sworn she had seen something moving up there. A black something flying above her, the stars in its path momentarily winking out of existence before it passed on.
    It was a figure.
    A silhouette.
    A shadow.