Love?

Tauriel had been so taken back by what Thranduil had just done and said she nearly fell to the ground. If it wasn't for her tight grip on Thranduil's arms she was almost certain the floor would have been against her face in a matter of seconds.

"My Lord did you just say what I think you did?" Tauriel asked.

He nodded. "Would you be referring to the part where I said: 'I have always taken a liking to you as more than a friend?'."

Tauriel nodded. "Of course those are the words I am referring to My Lord." She said with a slight roll of her eyes.

"Well then yes, I said exactly that, but Tauriel, please do not call me your Lord. I am your friend now, or at least I would like to believe so."

"Well of course we are friends Thranduil..but what is more important at the moment is, are we more than friends?" She asked. "How do you really feel about me? Is it actually love, when your heart races every time you see that certain person, you cannot stop thinking about them all day? Or is it just the longing to use them to your advantage and leave them whenever you choose?" She asked.

"For someone who has denied knowing anything about love for quite some time, you seem to know a lot when it comes to defining the word." Thranduil said, sitting down on the edge of his large bed.

"Well perhaps I know of love because I have indeed been in love. Maybe I just didn't want to mention it to you. I did not think you would care to discuss the feelings your Captain has towards others. I mean, you should really be ruling a kingdom, not discussing love." She said with a slight smirk tugging at her lips.

"Well, well. Look who finally found their confidence again. Telling a King how to rule a kingdom.." He said with a boyish grin.

"Thranduil you are clearly in need of assistance on this matter. You are unsure of whether you should discuss love or send guards into the forest to battle the threats we face each day." She stated, in a matter-of-fact tone.

Thranduil just chuckled to himself, his abdomen shaking slightly as he did. "Tauriel? You never said anything back last night..about loving me. Do you?" He asked.

"Oh Thranduil, please." She waved her hand, signalling that she was completely dismissing his question. "I need a lot more time to get to know you personally before we can actually start something. For now you are a friend, my ruler and nothing more. You will have to work hard to earn my love and respect, because I do not mind who you are and what titles you have but unless you respect me, and treat me well, do not expect me to love or honour you." She said.

"Ahh, an elleth who has morals and stands her ground, even with her king. Tauriel, you are perfect. Everything about you is wonderful.." He said.

"All well and good, but as I said, you have to earn my love. I do not see that you will fail in this area, but it takes effort from both people to sustain a relationship.." She said.

Thranduil nodded. "Look, Tauriel I understand. I know exactly how you must be feeling. Well at least I'm trying to understand how you must feel."

She nodded. "One more thing though..." Tauriel said with a serious expression.

"Hmm?" Thranduil raised an eyebrow.

"Trust. Trust is the most important thing of all to me. So many times I have had it completely shattered by others. It will be hard to gain my trust, but once you have got it, you have me. All of me." She said with a small smile.

Thranduil nodded once. "I know you have had your heart seemingly ripped from your chest many times Tauriel. I knew that from the moment I laid eyes on you in the forest after your mother and father were killed." He said. "I saw the pain and heartbreak in your green eyes, and that is something I don't ever want to see in your eyes again. I will do all I can to make sure you don't feel that way. Ever again." He said softly.

Tauriel nodded. "It will take time. But if you are willing to take that time, it will be worth it. For both of us. I am not denying that I have feelings for you, I have for a long time. But I just want to make sure of everything before stepping into something that could be potentially deadly."

"Deadly?" Thranduil questioned.

"Why of course. Love can be deadly. It took its toll on my older sister.." She said quietly. "Before the orcs came, when my mother and father were still alive, I remember my older sister Elora had a partner. His name was Fleren. She was madly in love with him, they had been together for years and years, until one day Elora found out Fleren had been cheating on her with another elleth. Not long after, my sister killed herself because of it. They do say that people can die of heartbreak, and I guess Elora did. Only, with a little help from herself. That is one of my earliest memories.." Her voice trailed off.

Thranduil stood and walked to Tauriel, embracing her in a tight hug. "Oh Tauriel, I am so so sorry. I had no clue you ever had an older sister."

"It's okay." Tauriel shook her head. "I didn't really know her, I just remember going to wake her up one day and I found her lying on the floor, dead. No signs of life, she was cold and frail. Nothing I could do." She said

Thranduil felt a tear come to his eye. "I know how it feels to lose someone so sincere to your heart.." He said quietly. "I do not speak of my own issues often..but I suppose trust is a two way thing. And I need to trust you in order for you to trust me, right?"

Tauriel simply nodded, guiding him towards the bed and sitting down beside him.

"Well..it was a long time ago. When Legolas was very young. Well in fact he was only seconds old when his mother died. My beautiful wife..died giving birth to my son.." His voice trailed off.

"Oh Thranduil, I am so sorry. I never wished to bring back painful memories.." Tauriel said with utter sincerity. Her mood had completely changed from one of rage to one of sympathy in a matter of moments.

"No no..do not worry. It's just..before she went into that room..we had argued. I never got the chance to say 'goodbye' or 'I love you'." The tear that had been threatening to fall from his eye finally did. It ran down his cheek before Tauriel gently wiped it away.

"Oh my.." Tauriel cradled his head in her arms. "I'm sorry this is probably rather inappropriate for me to be doing." She said.

"No, it is absolutely fine. In fact I could go as far to say I find it rather comforting." Thranduil said with a slight shake to his voice.

A smile crept onto Tauriel's face as she pushed him back onto the bed gently and pulled the covers over him. "Sleep, you need the rest." She whispered.

He could barely nod at her before his eyelids closed from being so heavy and he drifted off to sleep.

Tauriel stayed with him for a while, watching over him. When she was certain he was asleep; she made her way back to her chambers. She slipped into a silk nightdress before getting between the sheets and falling asleep herself. The sleep was long and peaceful, unlike any she had experienced for quite some time.

[ wow okay so this chapter was really horrible, I'm sorry. I know the comments will be bad but please let me know what you think xxx ]