Year 3 - The Executioner

"Professor McGonagall!" Hermione said as she ran into the Transfiguration classroom. It was empty, but that didn't really matter. 

"Ms. Granger? Whatever is it?" McGonagall said, sitting at her desk.

"Well, Professor, Harry's gotten a new broom."

"Well, that's great! We can have our Gryffindor Seeker back, then!"

"No, you don't understand. He's gotten it as a Christmas present. The person who left it dropped it off with no note or name."

"So you think..."

"Yes. I think it's him."

"Thank you for telling me, Ms. Granger. I must have that broom straight away."

"He's in the courtyard with it, Professor."

"Very well." Professor McGonagall hurried to the courtyard with Hermione trailing behind her. "Mr. Potter," McGonagall said. Harry's smile froze on his face, still clutching the broom.

"Professor! I've gotten a new broom! I can play for the team again!" Harry said.

"I'm afraid I need to confiscate this." McGonagall seized Harry's new broom from him. 

"Professor-" Harry now looked like a sad little boy who's dog had just passed away. 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Potter. I will have it back to you as soon as I can. If I can." McGonagall gave him a look of grief and bustled off to her chamber with the broom. That let Hermione staring sadly at Harry.

"It was you," Harry said. "You got my broom taken away."

"Harry, I-" Hermione searched for words, but had none.

"Don't, Hermione."

"Come on, Harry. Do you know why I did it?"

"No, I don't, but now I can't play anymore. You took that away from me."

"Harry, I did it because the broom might be from Sirius Black!" Hermione whisper-yelled, not wanting anyone around them to hear.

"The man that's trying to kill me is going to send me a brand new shining Firebolt? Nice reasoning, Hermione. You've really hit an all time low." Harry stormed off with Ron, a furious look on his face. Ron rammed into her shoulder as he walked past. Hermione felt tears growing in her eyes. She looked across the courtyard to Draco. She walked past him in order to get him to come see her. She felt a tap on the shoulder.

"Hermione, what was that?" Draco asked.

"Don't you think it's a little suspicious that someone just sends Harry a broom out of nowhere? The best model in fact?" Hermione said.

"I mean, I guess I really didn't think about it that much."

"What if that broom was from Sirius Black? Couldn't it be hexed? If Harry rode that broom again, it could kill him and Black would get exactly what he wanted."

"I suppose..."

"Yes. Even though Harry might be angry with me, I still feel that I did the right thing."

"You did. Don't feel bad about it. He'll come around eventually once he realizes what you've done for him."

"Thanks, Draco." Hermione threw herself into a hug with Draco. 

"You're welcome." Hermione thought of something.

She gasped. "I have to go see Hagrid! See you later, Draco!" Hermione ran down the hill and looked back once to see Draco smirking. She thought he was so cute.