Chapter 35

Delilah rolled over onto her other side, slowly waking up for what felt like the 8th time. As her eyes fanned open, the blurry image of a person beside her sat at the center of her vision. She blinked several times and allowed her eyes focus, finally able to make out the image as Valentin. From the street lights' glow that swam into the small bedroom, she could see that he was sitting up and holding Lola in his arms.

"What's wrong, honey? Did the baby wake you up? Is she hungry?" She asked, sitting up and pulling her night gown off her shoulder to get ready to nurse Lola.

"No, mi amor. She's fine. I just wanted to hold her." He cradled her in his arms in front of him.

"Are you okay, baby?" Delilah asked, scooting closer to him and leaning her head on his shoulder. He turned on the lamp on his side of the bed, kissed her forehead and turned his eyes back to their sleeping baby girl.

"I'm okay. We've had so many people come visit her over the past week that I've felt like I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time with her. Or you, come to think of it." He looked over at her, planting a kiss on her lips.

"I feel the same way. By the time everyone leaves, we're both too tired to even think. Thankfully, everyone who wants to visit has, so now it can be just us." She smiled, looking down at Lola's sleeping face.

"She looks just like you." Valentin smiled, placing a soft kiss on his daughter's curly crown. She grunted at the disturbance and then returned back to her soft sleeping breaths.

"You think so?"

"Yeah. She's so beautiful. I'm proud of you, mi amor."

She sat up and kissed the angle of his jaw, rubbing the soft stubble that had been inching onto his face.

They continued to sit in bed, gazing at their love in human form.

•|•|•

Delilah sat on the bed, her sky blue dress pulled down as Lola nursed. Once she let go her of her breast, signifying that was full and satisfied, Delilah pulled her dress back up and held Lola against her shoulder. She firmly patted her back, trying to get her to burp.

"Mi amor, are you ready?" Valentin asked, opening the door to their bedroom.

"I'm just burping her now. Can you button my dress back up for me, please?"

"But, I like it better unbuttoned." He smirked, walking over to her.

"Yeah, I bet you do." She rolled her eyes, laughing. A small, but loud, burp interrupted her initial laugh and caused her to start laughing louder.

"¡Aye, muy bien, mija!" Valentin laughed at their baby girl as he buttoned up Delilah's dress.

"You got it all out, pumpkin?" Delilah asked, smiling down at the 4-month old baby. Lola looked up at Delilah with her big hazel eyes and let out a high-pitched squeal that turned into a high-pitched giggle. Delilah laughed, fixing Lola's pink dress with white lace trim. She had on white knitted booties to match.

"There ya go, mi amor." Valentin said, coming back around and taking Lola into his arms. He began cooing to her in Spanish and she giggled and squealed in response.

"Is Ramón ready? Is he excited?" She asked, standing up.

"Yes. Right now, he's trying to sneak licks of frosting off of his cake, so let's get out there before he does." They both laughed and went into the living room.

Homemade streamers and paper flowers decorated the living room and dining area. Covered dishes of food and a chocolate cake filled the dining area table. Cecilia, a few of Valentin's aunts, and female cousins walked in and out of the kitchen, carrying more dishes of food. His uncles and make cousins were outside, where they had set up a dominoes table in front of the building stoop. Delilah could see Ramón and a few of his cousins under the kitchen table, trying to sneak sweets from the table.