Chapter 6

After bringing me to my room, Judd had left on the note that he'd see me for dinner, giving me the chance to settle in.

Everybody else had taken that moment to leave as well, so now I'm alone in this empty room.

There's two double beds on either side of the room facing each other. Next to both of them nearest to the far wall is a dresser, and a closet presides on the wall opposite the door.

When I walk inside to put away my clothes I take note to how neatly organized the one half of the closet is. And when I say half, I literally mean half. I'd be suspicious if my supposed roommate didn't use a ruler to crop the space the way she did.

After I finish putting away all of my clothes I step back out into the room. My bed is still bare, as they'd given me the choice of whether or not I wanted my own blankets —which I did, duh— so I set to work.

It's now that I notice the bay window on my side of the room. Opposite side of my bed, closer to the door. When I sit down and look out I get an overview of the backyard. Fairly big, with a swimming pool, tennis court and basketball hoop. As well as that, hedges act as almost a fence, because I guess image is a very important thing here.

Image being —how they present themselves. Whether they say who they are, or hide it. Ahem —Michael.

"Knock knock," someone says before just walking into the room. When I turn to see who it is I'm almost confused.

I guess we can add Lia to that list...

Lia stands there, her jet black hair cascading down her back, longer than mine has ever been. She traded her tight clothes for a loose fitting summer dress, and her heels for flats. She also removed her makeup, and now carries a more casual approach, although just by looking at her face you can tell that Lia is not a casual person whatsoever. Then again, judging by how this is the reason I'm here, not everybody can tell that just by looking at her cheekbones.

But the way the others have made it seem, you can't have more than one Natural ability. Or maybe it's just rare, and they've never had one like that, I have no idea, but either way, I guess that's not the point.

"Hello?" I say in question.

"You done unpacking?"

I look around the room before glancing back at her.

"Nope."

She narrows her eyes at me.

"Fine, I'll help. But don't expect it to be a reoccurrence, you'll see who I truly am soon enough." She shoots me a mischievous smile before walking over to the suitcase that holds my bedding.

After thirty minutes of arguing, planning
—somehow a lecture on what the appearance of your bed can tell the male species— and a pillow fight, we finish. 

"Ahh, finally someone I can be rough with. The boys are too... bleh and Sloane's, well... you'll see," Lia says as she rearranges my three pillows to her liking.

"Well don't get too rough, I'd like to think I have some sensitivity," I say. The truth is, I don't want to be the one that ends up going over board, and I half expect Lia to catch that lie but then again, having trained myself, I can lie about almost anything and never get caught. I guess that's why she hasn't called me out yet about my name and how it "isn't really my name."

"Whatever," she sighs. "Are you done now?"

I turn my attention to my bag —it's my backpack, with all my personal items in it— but I decide it can wait for later and shrug.

"Judd gives pretty crappy tours. He doesn't talk too much, and has eyes everywhere. But he's a good cook, so I don't mind."

According to the picture of Judd I have in my head, it'll take some time before he opens up to me the way he must to the others, but that's alright.

"Where's my roommate?" I ask.

"Where she always is," Lia gives another one of her signature smiles and turns to walk out of the room, obviously expecting me to follow her.

...

The basement is the exact same length as the house, and the roof stands almost twenty feet high. I walk toward the entrance of the basement that stands parallel to the bottom of the stairs when a crash sounds out, and I jump.

"Is that just supposed to happen?"

Lia shrugs and walks ahead as if nothing had just happened.

"Damn. I wonder what normal is," I sigh.

"Conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern," a voice calls out. It's high pitched and immensely joyous.

She peaks around the corner of one of the first rooms and smiles. The first thing I notice is her hair. Stick straight platinum blonde, with bangs only just too short.

"Now describe safety," Lia jokes. "Where're your goggles?"

"I believe the technical term would be "confiscated."" The girl ducks back into the room and based off of Lias expression I'd assume this is my roommate.

I walk through the doorway and find a long hallway, filled with rooms. Or, simulations of rooms at least. They're all missing a wall. Immediately on my left is a bathroom set, glass littered all over the floor. As well as that, hot pink and neon yellow post-its are stuck in spirals all over the floor and sink.

I look around at the other rooms.

"Potential crimes scenes. From a bedroom to a park to a swimming pool or restaurant. Even a post office, for all your going postal needs." Lia smiles at the last part, and I can't help but crack a smirk either.

I turn back to Sloane. She sits on her knees, poised peacefully above the mess she just made, her fingers hovering over the pieces as she stares blankly  at the floor.

"Your hair is red," she blurts after a while.

"Uh... yes?"

"People with red hair tend to need 20% more anesthesia to undergo surgery, because they're significantly more apposed to wake up on the table."

I assume this is her way of saying hello, and this is when it all clicks. The perfect separation in the closet, the random facts. Sloane. The Natural with numbers and probabilities.

Lia goes on to explain how Sloane can be absolutely dangerous with numbers, sometimes literally, and Sloane defends herself with more facts when Michael cuts in.

"Very interesting Sloane."

I turn to look at Michaels smirking face.

"You should see her when she's on caffeine."

I chuckle silently. "So is this it? Just the four of us?"

I vaguely remember somebody else's name being thrown around.

Right after the sentence leaves my mouth Lia smiles, meanwhile Michaels eyes grow darker. Sloane, oblivious to the change of emotion in the room says, "There's also Dean."

I know I said I'd try to post more today but I'm too tired now! But tomorrow's early day so I'll try for that. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading and I highly recommend my other book, "We're All Running Away From Something." Bye!