Chapter 1: The Train

Today was the day. Luz was off to Reality Check Camp for the entire summer, and she wasn't looking forward to it at all.

"Luz, estás lista?" Camila called from downstairs.

"Si mamá, ya voy," Luz replied as she sat up from her bed and stretched.

After closing a few fanfiction tabs and pocketing her phone, Luz stood from the bed and walked to her desk. With a sigh, Luz grabbed her backpack and took one last glance at her bedroom. It would be the last time she would see it for the next 3 months. She eyed the The Good Witch Azura series stacked on her bookshelf.

Hmm... I'll need something to keep me occupied on the bus...

After a moment of hesitation, Luz grabbed book 5, tucking it under her arm. It was her personal favorite of the series, she loved the development of Azura and Hecate's relationship.

Classic enemies to friends... and maybe even lovers when book 6 comes out!

Satisfied, Luz took the stairs down into the living room and walked over to the front door where her mom was waiting.

"Finally! I was beginning to think you got stuck on the toilet or something."

"Wha- Mamá!" Luz sputtered.

Ruffling Luz's hair, Camila opened the door and together they walked to the curb, down the sidewalk before coming to a halt in front of the LAMetro signpost.

"The bus should be here soon, but I have to get to work now so I can't see you off."

"It's okay, I'll be fine waiting by myself." Luz looked down, scuffing her shoes against the sidewalk.

"Luz, look at me."

Luz glanced up, facing her mom. Camila wrapped her arms around Luz and squeezed tightly.

"I know you aren't excited about summer camp, but give it a chance! It's an opportunity to finally make some friends and learn something new!"

"Hey! I have friends!" Luz shot back.

"Mija, the librarian at your school does not count."

Luz scowled as her mom pulled away from her, leaving a kiss on her forehead.

"Ten mucho cuidado y mandame un mensaje de texto cuando subas al autobús."

Luz managed a half-hearted smile. This would be the last time she'd see her mom for a while. She didn't want to leave on a sour note.

"Okay I will, don't worry!"

Camila smiled, and took off down the road towards the hospital. Luz sat down on the bench, setting her book next to her. She watched a bird peck at some trash while fiddling with her watch.

If the pamphlet is anything to go by, summer camp is going to be completely dull and boring. But, at least I'll have my book to keep me busy...

Luz looked up, expecting to see her book still on the bench, but it wasn't. Confused, Luz stood and looked around. Suddenly, she heard a hoot. Turning towards the sound, Luz gasped. A small brown barn owl had taken her book, holding it inside a drawstring bag with its beak.

"Thief!"

With another hoot, the owl turned and sped off into the woods.

"No, no, no! Come back!" Luz called out as she raced after the owl, backpack slung over her shoulder.

Leaves crunched underfoot as Luz rushed through the trees, swatting branches out of her way. She had been running for a few minutes when she lost sight of the owl. Cursing under her breath, Luz leaned over, hands on her knees to catch her breath.