Chapter 33

"Please, please, wake up. I'm losin' my mind here." Hayden's voice pleaded, exhaustion lining it.

Why does my throat hurt so badly? And why can't I speak?

And why does this headache feel so much worse than the others ever did?

Mustering all of her strength, she wiggled her finger, a warm hand immediately finding hers.

"Did you just move? Squeeze my hand if you can hear me." His voice was frantic.

She squeezed.

What in hell is he freaking out about?

Why is it so fucking hard to open my eyes? It feels like they're glued shut.

Focusing all of her energy on the task, she took a deep breath, forcing her eyes to start to open.

She flinched, the sunlight beaming in on her face hurting her overly sensitive eyes.

"Oh shit. I got it! I got it." Hayden's hand disappeared as he jumped out of his chair, closing the blinds behind him.

"Where-" she started, coughing as her throat constricted against the word. She swallowed. "Where a-am I?"

He sat back down, gently taking her hand once more as his green eyes took on a teary sheen.

"You're in the hospital."

"Wait what? Why?"

"Y-You've been in a coma for six months."

"What?"

Six months? But the babies! Oh god. My babies.

"I have to go get the doctor to-"

"Hayden. W-Where are they? L-Logan and-"

"I'll go get them." He kissed her forehead.

"A-Are they o-okay? H-Healthy?"

He nodded, smiling as a tear fell. "They're perfectly fine. But they both miss you like hell. I'll be back."

She sighed, sinking back into her bed when she heard a knock at the door.

"Well good morning." Dr. Tanner walked in smiling as she pulled out a small flashlight.

"I'm just going to check your eyes, okay?"

She nodded, wincing as the bright light shined at her.

Switching to the other eye, the doctor spoke again.

"Can you tell me your name? Birthday? Age? The last thing that you remember?"

"A-Adelaide Adams. My birthday is September twenty-third, nineteen eighty-seven. I'm thirty-two. I-"

"Sweetie.. do you remember what year it is?" The doctor asked, a confused look on her face.

"T-Two thousand and nineteen."

Realization dawned on the woman's face. "It's two thousand and sixteen."

"N-No, I-"

She stopped, panicking as she glanced around the room, her eyes stopping on a picture on the wall.

"Dr. Tanner, how did I get back to Virginia?"

"What do you-" she frowned. "How did you know my name? I never told you."

"W-What do you mean? You've been my doctor the last three years."

"No, I-"

"Lake! Oh thank god!"