Jace | Chap. 15

I took the lead, and Zed followed closely while Cade stayed behind with the Omega so she wouldn't hurt herself more. I practically had to fight my Wolf as he begged for his mate, scratching at my skin to go back and stay by the female's side. But I shoved him down and took full control, focusing on the mission. I pushed forward and forced my legs to stretch as far as they could, covering as much distance as possible with every stride. It took me a matter of minutes to reach the village, but the strong scent of blood and burnt flesh got me long before I was able to see the silhouettes of the buildings. It didn't take much more to understand what had happened.

I skidded to a stop at the very border of the village, and my paws were instantly covered with ash and dust. Zed arrived shortly after, astounded by the gruesome scene. Houses were burnt down, bodies melted together, women and children slaughtered. The entire town was destroyed, left to ruins. Despite the horrors I've seen in my life, and I've seen many, I couldn't hold back a gag at the smell.

What happened...? Zed wondered over the link.

I growled. 'Obviously, the townsfolk were slaughtered...'

'But why?'

'I don't know...' I was honestly too shocked to reply at his blatant idiocy, but it wasn't the best time either.

Holding nother gag from the smell, I approached the nearest body -what seemed to be the remains of a charcoaled male- and tossed his body around with my paw. His face was utterly burnt of all skin, teeth and bones exposed to the world while being completely unrecognizable. I've never seen anything like it before...

"Help..." A weak whimper from a pile of rubble caught my attention as a hand reached out from a pile of debris.

Quickly, Zed and I dug out the rubble. Zed then transformed and carefully pulled the women out of her prison, holding her in his arms. Her clothes were partially burnt and ripped, and a large gash spilled blood from her side. By her scent, although mostly covered by the smell of burnt flesh and smoke, was unmistakably a Wolf's.

The women coughed, fear glazing her pale eyes while Zed gently held her.

"You're okay; I got you. I got you."

I growled and stepped forward, speaking over the link. 'What happened?'

"Rogues... And..." She coughed, wincing in pain as Zed pressed against her wound in a futile attempt to stop the bleeding.

"Come on, stay with me. Tell me, what did you see?

- They weren't alone..." She gasped, struggling to breathe. 'The rogues...

- Hold on, you're doing good. Just hold on.

- They... Had magic..."

My ears perked at her words, shocked. 'That's impossible. Mages died thousands of years ago.

- The fire... They burnt everyone..." The women's voice grew weak with every breath while her strength slowly slipped away.

Zed sighed and gazed down as the women's body became limp, drawing her final breath in his arms. Her words anchored in my head. Magic bearers? It couldn't be... The last tribe died ages ago, and they lived halfway across the world! But those burns... I've never seen anything like it. This was more than a little fire. Despite my worries, I had no time to think it over as Cade finally arrived with the Omega still on his back.

The girl gave out a horrified look at the scene, covering her mouth with her pale hand. "What... Happened...?"

'Any survivors?' Cade asked over the link, icy blue eyes glazed with worry.

'Not that we know of.' I sighed, giving out a small growl. 'We'll talk of this matter later. First, we gotta bring the Omega back to her home.'

Cade curled his lips into a snarl. 'Jace, look at this place! It's in ruins. She has nothing left to live for!'

Suddenly the girl shouted from her spot, clenching the necklace at her chest. "Mother... She lived in the house by the forest line..."

I saw Cade's face change at her words, and I knew exactly what he was thinking. 'Cade, we don't have time for the-'

'Where?' She pointed in the right direction, and Cade ran off into a canter, utterly oblivious of my order. 'Tsk...'

Betas. Practically the werewolf version of a simp. They know nothing better than protecting the one their assigned too, even if it means ignoring or plain out disobeying their Alpha. To add it up, Zed morphed back into his Wolf and followed!

How idiotic are these two!?

Despite my anger, I had no choice to follow them and considering how slow they moved, it didn't take long before I caught them. The girl was barely holding onto Cade; she was using only one hand to hold herself, while clutching her side with the other.

A whimper almost escaped my throat, as my Wolf cried for his mate, worried about her injury. For at least the 50th time today, I had to shun him down and focus my conscience on the mission so I trotted ahead.

Soon enough, we breached into an open clearing and once again, the strong smell of ash and burnt wood caught our snouts. When we broke through the last line of trees, a pile of rubble, ash and burnt wood stood in the center of the clearing.

And from a surviving pillar, a burnt body hung above the ground.

-*-

Consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT for more!