Fan Fiction (HV 2021 entry)

Prompt 10: Your favourite author just passed away a few months ago. One night while reading one of their novels, you hear a knock at the door. Upon opening, you find the author standing there. 

The corridor outside was dimly lit, but Maddie could still see a tall man in black leather jacket through the peephole. He looked familiar, although she couldn't make out much detail through the plastic lens.

That was the only reason she opened the door, the familiarity. And the fact he was standing far enough away so that she could see he wasn't holding a gun or chain cutters. You could never be too careful in this city.

Maddie unlocked the two deadbolts and opened the door, the security chain stretching to its full length with a metallic snap.

"Yes? Can I help you?"

"Madeline Shaw?" the man said in a pleasant Scottish burr that spoke of wild-running streams and whisky bottles. "Danny Gordon."

Maddie stared. Then her mouth opened and shut a few times before she choked out "Impossible, you're..."

"Dead. Yes, unfortunately." The man shut his eyes and nodded in sad agreement. "May I come in? I've got a message for you."

Maddie didn't move. It had to be a joke. It couldn't be Danny Gordon. Not THE Danny Gordon. But there he was. Same silvery hair, same fleshy nose, same twinkling green eyes she'd seen in magazines and book blogs for years.

Then it clicked.

"You're some kind of celebrity double, right? My friends hired you to come here and sing or something?"

"Sorry to disappoint, no. I don't know your friends, Miss Shaw, but I do know you. You're a fan of my work. In fact, you're rereading one of my more minor successes at the moment, I believe?"

Immediately, Maddie saw "Night at St. Jules" on her bedside table. The university bell tower swathed in mist and the pale light of a full moon on the shiny dark cover. It was one of her favourite novels and she had it in hardcover.

Maddie squinted. "How did you know that?"

The man shrugged. "I'm dead, remember. And we dearly departed are privy to somewhat more information than the living. As I said, I have a message for you that I can't deliver out here in the hall very well. I'm not armed, nor dangerous. And I really am that Danny Gordon. May I come in?"

Maddie made a snap decision. If it really was Danny Gordon's ghost -- which she didn't believe for a second but what other explanation was there -- and he wanted to talk to her, well, that was worth a few minutes of her time.

She stepped aside and held the door open for the man to come in. As he did, the skin on her arms tingled. A cold whoosh with an electric after burn.

"Alright, what's the message?" she asked, a frown of confusion slightly creasing her forehead.

"Right, here goes," Danny said and spread out his arms like a TV presenter. "Congratulations, Miss Madeline Shaw! You are the lucky winner of a paranormal literary experience courtesy of myself and the honourable M.R. James. If you choose to accept your prize, it will start bright and early tomorrow morning. If not, well, I'll answer any questions you have about my novels and be off." Danny shoved his hands in his pockets and waited for Maddie to say something, a huge grin on his face.

Maddie shook her head. "Wait, what? I didn't enter any contest. What are you talking about?"

"You sent me a fan letter, correct?"

Maddie had to think a moment. The frown of confusion creased her forehead even more.

"Yes, but like, eight or nine years ago."