A new arrival

Today is the day that either your worst nightmare or your best dream will come true. You are getting ready to leave Australia once and for all. You feel guilt-ridden at the circumstances of your departure but it has always been a dream of yours to play in the NHL. You have finally somehow been given the opportunity to join the Tampa Bay Lightning. At least your family is supportive of your move.

"No mum I am all good to go," You respond to your mum who is making sure you are good to go. She is worried that you have forgotten something.

"Don't get annoyed at me but I don't want you to ask me to post anything," Your mum retorts. The thought makes you giggle. You double check everything anyway. You are satisfied at your efforts. Forty five minutes later you have made it to the airport. You have a slight bounce in your step as you head towards the plane that will be carrying you to Los Angeles. It's a pity you couldn't get a direct flight to Tampa Bay. An hour later you have boarded the plane. It will be a long flight. You get yourself settled. After twenty hours of travel you have made it to Tampa Bay. You are looking for one of your new teammates who is supposed to be picking you up. After a minute of looking you find Andrei Vasilevskiy.

"Ari," He calls out as he looks up from his phone. You soon join the Russian.

"I trust your flight was ok," He decides to make conversation.

"It was alright. Just long," You respond. Andrei gives you a look that is a cross between confusion and curiosity. The look is probably because of your accent. You get the feeling that it will bring many looks because as far as you know you are the first Australian in the NHL.

"Anyway can I take some of your stuff?" Andrei decides that it would be a good idea to be polite. You pass him your suitcase. Ten minutes later you both make it to the car. You are suddenly hit by the brick that is tiredness despite the fact that you were lucky enough to sleep on the plane. You try your best to rub the sleepiness from your eyes.

"Sorry Andrei," You say.

"You can have a nap. It will be awhile before we make it to the house that you will be staying in," Andrei can see that you are losing the battle. With that remark you soon fall asleep. The next thing you know you wake up to the smell of dinner. Odd. That must mean that you are roommates with Andrei. You stretch as you get up. Then you head to the kitchen to find Andrei cooking. You are suddenly hit by the realisation that you are going to miss Australia. It has been a week since you arrived in Tampa Bay and you are getting ready for your first game as a defenceman for the lightning. You are the first to arrive closely followed by Steven Stamkos.

"Hello Ari," Steven greets you.

"Hello Steven," You respond as you get the protective gear over your undershirt. You are still amazed at the fact that you were drafted. It doesn't take long for the others to arrive but by that time you are already organised. You always try your best to be early for games. Whilst you wait for the others to get ready. Your thoughts are interrupted by Andrei. He looks like he needs some help.

"Andrei would you like some help?" You offer before he can ask.

"Can you make sure the straps are secure?" Andrei responds. You double check for him.

"You're all good to go," You say as you offer your hand to help him up. He takes you up on your offer. Nine minutes later everyone is ready and you are doing defensive drills with Brayden Point. You are trying to get the puck off him. You only just managed to get it through his legs.

"Good job," Brayden compliments you. He is clearly surprised that you tried getting the puck from between his legs.

"Thank you," You respond as you pass the puck back to him so he can try again. After twenty minutes of warming up you are ready to back up the forwards. The face off is tense but Brayden comes out successful. However you are still ready. Brayden soon hits the Maple Leafs' defence.

"Ari," Brayden makes his intentions known. He passes the puck to you and you get it to Steven. After some back and forth between the forwards Steven is able to score. You add your cheers to the crowd's. However it doesn't last long because Auston Matthews has just won the face off. You get to work on getting the puck back but Auston is just a touch faster than you. He passes the puck to Mitch Marner. You only just miss. Mitch tries to score but Andrei is able to kick the puck towards you. It is a race but you are able to win. A minute later you are able to get it to Steven. Fifteen minutes later the period has come to a close and you are talking to Andrei whilst having a much needed break.

"You're doing well Ari," Andrei remarks.

"Are you sure?" You ask. You are finding the atmosphere a little overwhelming. It's different to the time your team spent in Sweden. The good thing is you are taking it in your stride.

"If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have said anything," Andrei responds.

"He is right," Brayden chimes in.

"Well thank you for the compliment," You end the conversation. You are glad that the team is supportive of you. The thought makes you smile even though the game is a little tough. You are a little glad that you have the next period off. You settle on watching Andrei. He is doing a good job at making sure the puck doesn't make its way into the net. Your thoughts are interrupted by the goal horn. Brayden has scored. The game looks like it is going to be a win for the Lightning but it would probably be a close one. After another nineteen minutes of play the game has tied and you are getting ready to get back on the ice. Seven minutes later you are ready to back up Anthony Cirelli.

"Ari, Ryan. Make sure you are open," Anthony calls out. You quickly doge around Ilya Mikheyev.

"I'm open," You call out. Anthony passes the puck to you. You start to bring it down.

"Be careful," Nikita Kucherov remarks as the defence tries to take the puck off you. You pass the puck to him because your job is done anyway. Nikita uses the opportunity to score but the puck bounces off Frederick Anderson's helmet. After seventeen minutes of play Steven has scored the winning goal and you are glad that the game didn't go into over time. You are getting ready to go back to your new home.

"That was a good game wasn't it Ari?" Andrei asks.

"It was good but different," You respond. You weren't expecting the fans to be crazy because the games in Australia were a little casual.

"That's good," He replies. After twenty minutes you have made it back to your house. You quickly collapse onto your bed. The game was a successful start to what could either be your worst nightmare or best dream.