Voices in the walls

"... no, move two seats back, if you will, Tobin. Sofia, please sit next to Angus. Alfie and Felix, please choose different seats, I don't trust you two sitting next to each other - don't roll your eyes at me, Felix. I'd hate to take points from Slytherin so early into the term - thank you. Does everyone have a place to sit now?" Arlyn scanned the new third years, seeing them all seated and settled in, "Good, thank Merlin, I was starting to think I'd have to transfigure more objects into desks..."

Dumbledore wasn't exaggerating when he told her the new third years might be a handful. Quite literally, in fact. Whereas she only had about ten students the previous year, she now had to accommodate thirty new ones. They spend an entire period moving furniture around to make room for more desks, while Arlyn also had to keep in mind to leave enough space to demonstrate the Muggle artefacts she had on display.

She started them off with an entertaining introduction speech, almost the same as she did like her first day teaching, before jumping right in on teaching them about electricity. Arlyn could hardly wait for the lessons she had planned for the first term, but she still had to stick to the curriculum and handbooks and, surprise surprise, chapter one was about electricity. At least the third years found it interesting.

"You're assignment for the first week is to write me an essay about the different uses Muggles have for electricity, as well as the different forms of electricity there are." She announced as the students packed up at the end of the class, "No less than three pages, but please keep it under ten pages for my sake - yes, I'm looking at you Sofia. I'm a Ravenclaw too, you know."

Next, she had the fourth years, who were already acquainted with her teaching methods and class personality. Seeing some familiar faces made the class easier to teach since she also knew what each student was capable of, and what they found interesting, and who wrote her the most notes - Agatha Clemens already dropped a note on her table the moment she skipped into class.

'Got to admire the Hufflepuff in her', Arlyn thought as she smiled at the glittering note on her desk. Seemed as if someone figured out she liked sparkly things. It was definitely going on her wall among the other (fifteen) notes students wrote her.

It was only when her last class was drawing to an end, that a series of knocks sounded from her door. Quirking a brow and sharing a curious look with her fifth years, Arlyn shuffled to the door to answer it.

But the moment she opened it, she uttered a squeak and jumped out of the way just before about a dozen rose bouquets could collide with her. They came floating in with a flock of doves following, and Arlyn had to dodge the birds if she didn't want them to get tangled in her hair.

At last, the bouquets arranged themselves on her desk, leaving no space for her books and parchments while the doves perched wherever they found an open spot - some students' heads and shoulders included

"Looks like someone has a secret admirer, Professor Quinn," Amira, a Slytherin girl, noted with a grin.

Some of the other girls giggled, some even fanned themselves at the romantic gesture. Fifth years, right? So curious and interested in love and romance and secret admirers.