Chapter Thirteen

Cora had to admit that solving the case wasn't nearly as satisfying as she had imagined. In fact, as her reflection in the mirror proved, it was downright awful.

The thin light of the nearing dawn emphasized her red-rimmed eyes and the dried mascara trailing along her cheeks. Her complexion looked both blotchy and washed out, and even her hair had frizzed out of its usual finger waves. She was certainly glad that the drive back from Freddy's had happened while it was still dark, and that Hayes had simply shown her to a bedroom and told her to take as much rest as she wanted.

Her sleep had been fitful, as if her brain was too full to fall quiet. Now she sat on the upholstered bench placed at the foot of the bed, staring out the window at a nearby pond. It was a lovely view, but she hardly even saw it. Freddy, a demented cult leader who sacrificed people. Violet, involved in it all and still so cool and calm about sending her right into the thick of things.

In a way, it did make a terrible sense. Freddy simply wasn't smart enough to keep such an illicit existence secret. He had always displayed his follies with a smile, depending upon his charm and family name to carry him along without consequence. Yet Violet... yes, she was shrewd and tactical in every way. She enjoyed playing with people's expectations, and always claimed she loved enemies more than friends because it was more fun using them. Apparently, that sentiment hadn't been the world-weary act all Crescent City socialites loved to put on, but instead cold, plain fact.

Cora felt her lower lip tremble and quickly dashed the thought from her mind. She was sick of crying, and it wasn't helping her feel better in any way. Good things had to have come out of the night before. She just needed to think them through.

People would finally stop accusing her of her father's murder. All the reporters and newspapers now had plenty of other figures from high society to chase after. And perhaps she was to remain in isolation for no good reason, but the time would be spent with Hayes.

This final realization was enough to chase off some of her gloom. It also stoked an inclination to explore what she had been too distraught to take in before. She'd never been in a lone wolf's home. He certainly had masculine tastes when it came to the bedroom, which had mahogany furniture that looked very stark against the cream walls. The closet was small and empty, so she wrapped herself up in the ratty police blanket and moved for the door.

There was a note taped there, written in Hayes' sharp, bold hand:

I went out to get a few things. Look around wherever you want and use whatever you need. I'll be back soon.

She took him at his word, searching through the rooms for any hints of his life beyond being a detective. They were few and far between in the small parlor, which was devoid of personal touch, and the kitchen, which looked like no one ever cooked in it.

Just as she peeked into the main bedroom, keys jingled in the front door's lock. Her heart leapt into her throat until it opened and revealed who was there.

Jane Feral raised her eyebrows while dragging Cora's entire overseas luggage over the threshold. "Don't look so disappointed. I just came back from your house. I asked the servants what you'd need for a few days and they packed all of these. Half feel like they weigh more than I do."

Cora tried to regain her composure. "Thank you. That's very kind."

"It was Sam's idea, not mine. The police have finished searching your house, so if there's something missing, blame them." Jane released her grip on the handles to reach for a bundle of papers tucked beneath one arm. "I also grabbed the morning mail and whatever else was waiting on your study desk."

Cora could only thank her again, adding, "I really do appreciate it. It's a lot of trouble to go through, whether it was your idea or not."

The she-wolf glanced around the small hallway, taking it in as carefully as Cora had. "I have to say, Miss Marshall, you're resilient if nothing else. Most people wouldn't have faced last night and come out still willing to see the best in others."