Chapter 13

Adelaide

Over the next week, I felt like a switch had flipped. There was something new about how I viewed Cedric. Anyone who has a pair of eyes can see that he's gorgeous; it's different than just attraction. I'd started noticing all the little things: the way he bites the inside of his cheek when he's thinking, and the little creases at the corners of his mouth when he smiles. How his big blue eyes take me in, making me really feel seen, and how he constantly needs to be doing something with his hands whether its fiddling with the hem of his shirt, cracking his knuckles, or running it through his hair. His voice sounds like summer rain, embracing me and warming me from the inside out every time he speaks. Just being in his presence makes my heart beat a little faster.

Something has definitely changed, and I'm not quite sure what.

I was spacing out in Potions, trying to figure out what was different - was it him? Or was it me? And what could have caused it to change so suddenly? And what even is "it" in the first place? - when a snobby male voice dragged me unwillingly back to reality.

"What a bitch- she's ignoring me!" I snapped my head around to see Malfoy scowling over at me.

"Why are you calling me a bitch?" I sighed, genuinely confused at what was happening.

"I was trying to tell you that it's the 28th day of the lunar cycle. Our potion is finished." He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, leaning back into his seat. I stood up abruptly, jumping at any chance to get away from him and Potions class.

"I'll go get it," I volunteered, already halfway toward the door.

"Oh, did you start going to the gym, Dawson?" Malfoy provoked. "Because last I checked you couldn't even raise the cauldron off the ground." I rolled my eyes and slumped back into my chair in defeat, knowing he was right. "How much do you lift?" He snickered, giving Goyle a look to cue in his laughter as well.

"Ha ha, very funny." I retorted curtly. I can probably lift more than you anyway, twiggy.

His classic smirk spread across his sharp features. "Goyle, go get the cauldron why don't you." Goyle sighed, and slowly began lifting his meaty body from his chair. "Come on, get on with it! We don't have all day!" Malfoy forcefully shoved him in the direction of the door, and Goyle lumbered out of the room. When he was gone, Malfoy rested his elbow on the table and leaned closer to me.

"So," he prompted, teasing malice laced in his tone. This should be magnificent. "How was your date with Diggory the other weekend?" I sighed and rested my chin on my hand, trying to focus on reading the next instructions for our potion. He doesn't give a damn about how our "date" went anyway, he's just trying to get a rise out of me.

"It wasn't a date, Malfoy," I muttered coldly.

"Ah, really? Because you had me fooled." He cocked an eyebrow at me before continuing, "And I guarantee you had Diggory fooled as well."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I didn't lift my eyes from my textbook, trying to stay collected and douse the hatred that was smoldering in my gut.

"It's not very proper to lead someone on, Dawson," Malfoy mused, clicking his tongue in sarcastic disapproval. I slammed my book shut and looked into his piercing silver eyes.

"It's not very proper to ask someone to a ball for your own personal gain and amusement." It felt good to spit that out at him, and I was hoping he would flinch or show some sign of weakness to let me know that he's actually human but my retort only made his sneer grow wider.

"We're still obsessing over that, are we?"

"Yes!" I threw my hands up in exasperation, struggling to keep my voice down. "Because it was wrong and you need to understand that!"