VIII

The envelope

Aaron cheated on his girlfriend with her own daughter. How awful and exciting.

Minutes before Stella hopped on the plane back to California, Allison hugged her so tight, telling her how proud she was. Her mom has never said those words before. And Stella felt so guilty when her mother also said: "I know I don't tell you this often but I love you so much".

What have I done she kept repeating to herself on the plane.

She fucked her mom's boyfriend and didn't say anything to her. She hugged her back, how cynical and what a horrible thing to do.

But Stella couldn't stop relieving the night before, and her stomach tickled every time. She had real feelings for Aaron and although what she did to her mother was terrible, she didn't regret it. Not one bit.

In Aaron's case, he didn't talk to Allison the entire day after his encounter with Stella, responding to her messages in monosyllabic words and making the only phone call 30 seconds long. He was ashamed.

That night in the kitchen neither said a word to each other and stayed quiet while they both adjusted their clothes back on, but their eyes said it all.

It was their secret.

After they did it for the second time on the living room and a third time in Stella's room, she stayed there, locking her door hiding while Aaron cleaned every kitchen counter surface with some wipes he found under the sink, like he was getting rid of the evidence.

As he cleaned he doubted whether to stay and pretend that nothing happened, or make an excuse and leave before Allison came back.

What Aaron had with Stella was the best and most exhilarating sex he's ever had. And he couldn't get the woman he fucked three times in one night out of his head. Her inked body, her beautiful moans, her eyes, her exquisite lips. Everything about Stella made him lose it.

He came to the realization he wasn't ready to face Allison so he left that night like the coward he was, texting her "I got called too, we have a case, I'm sorry", which was a lie in the beginning but ended up actually happening.

"What's up with you, you've been distracted," Rossi asked while they were on the jet on their way back from the case, two days later.

Aaron had zoned out thinking about her.

"Uh, nothing," he responded, standing up to go to the bathroom, subtly adjusting his pants that were a little too tight on his crotch area.

He couldn't even look at his reflection. He felt embarrassed, and even when it was a mutual decision, he felt like he took advantage of her. But he hadn't stopped thinking about her.

When the team arrived at the BAU, Aaron went straight to his office just to grab his laptop and a few files. But something else caught his attention. There was a big red envelope on his desk with the note: To Aaron Hotchner. He sat in his chair and unwrapped the string around the button that was extremely tight.

Taking out everything from it, he saw at least fifteen pictures of him and Stella, from the night in the kitchen and from the weekend at the lake cabin.

He swallowed nervously as his heart rate increased.

What the hell.

He got up to look around outside his office and then closed the door and blinds. He was screwed.

He checked the pictures one by one. Some of them were taken very close. Whoever took them had a professional camera and clearly has been stalking them.