Chapter 1: Rest

Kai blocked more autumn branches just before they scraped his face and kept running through the dense brush. It was dark and fairly hard to make out the shapes and shadows all around him, but he didn't have time to feel his way through—he needed to get away, no matter how many times he tripped. He only had so long before he was found—oh, who was he kidding? He was probably already toast, but he was willing to risk it all for just one minute of rest.

The woods had been almost completely mapped, but there was one small place he had found not too long ago that seemed untouched and hidden. It was an old, hollow tree that sat surrounded by shrubs, ferns, and other trees, making it the ideal hideaway.

He was getting so close. Just passed this next boulder, over the algae stream, and behind the the berry bushes. There it was! The hideout was right in front of him, and his heart leaped with relief as he dove down, skidding into the tree's cool, wooden interior, slamming his head against the far wall in the process. But it was well worth it. He was finally safe. Now all that was left was for him to relax and let his tired, aching body have a few minutes to—

"AAAHHH!" Kai screamed as someone grabbed and yanked his ankle back out of the tree. In the blink of an eye he was out in the open, covered in leaves, mud and sap, and looming over him was none other than Sensei Wu. He looked especially unhappy and Kai knew he was in for it this time.

"Kai Rayson, you have some explaining to do," the Sensei said. He turned around and started walking away, dragging Kai by his ankle. His body was pulled over stones and branches with no concern for how much it hurt.

'Not again!' Kai moaned internally.

Wu dragged him all the way back to the training grounds outside of the monastery before he finally let go, letting his pupil's legs fall to the ground with a slight thud. Kai sat up to rub his legs and saw Cole, Jay, and Zane standing nearby wearing their training uniforms. They were all staring at him; getting ready to mock him, no doubt. It wouldn't be the first time. But then again, he did sorta have it coming, not that he'd ever admit it out loud.

"Perhaps you can explain to your brothers why you were hiding like a ring-tailed rabbit while you are all running fifty laps around the monastery," said Wu, staring down at him with a frown.

"But Sensei—" Kai blurted.

"Butts are for rams," Wu countered. "Not for ninja. Now hop to it." He smiled and headed toward the monastery entrance, leaving the boys alone.

"Real nice work, Kai. What'd you do this time?" Cole asked, folding his arms. Kai flinched and felt that all-too-familiar, icky feeling take over again. "Smuggle some more cheesecake from the kitchen? Or—judging by your new foliage-inspired outerwear—I'd say you were out sneaking more 'alone time?'" 

"Can you blame me?" Kai cried, and he collapsed back on the ground, spreading his arms out like a starfish. "We've been training for months! Uphill, downhill, rain, wind, swimming, running, fighting, and more running—I'm surprised I can still feel my legs!"

"Don't you think we all feel the same?" Zane asked. He was as straight forward as ever, and so annoyingly right.

"Yeah, the other day, Sensei Wu made me carry him up and down the mountain just so he could get some stupid tea flower!" Jay exclaimed, waving his arms around for dramatic effect. "My feet were so blistered it felt like walking on water balloons!"

Everyone took a turn slightly gagging and making faces after that comment.

"Why would your mind even think of that?" Kai cried.

"I have no idea," said Jay somewhat chuckling at his joke.

"Well, on the bright side of the situation, we're all in great shape," Cole pointed out with a grin.
Jay looked down at his very toned, yet somehow still skinny arms and said, "True, but if we have to out-swim one more sea monster, I'm changing my name to Pablo and moving to Cozi Island!"
"Why not just go now while Wu's not looking?" Kai muttered, sitting up.