Preview

A/N - Hello and welcome!

 In the coming week or two, I'm gonna start posting chapters to my new book, Lunchbox Paradox!  This story is completely different from anything I've ever done before, so I'm extremely excited to start this new journey! I want it to be a sort of action-packed, sci-fi novel with a touch of romance and philosophical introspection. Does that sound like an absolute cluster-fuck of genres? Yes. Yes it does. 

In celebration of such nonsense, I have therefore decided to put up this little sneak preview. Enjoy!

Excerpt from Chapter 1 (slightly altered) 

I want to get angry with her. To yell until my voice goes numb. But yelling is the last thing we should be doing.

"Forget it." I say. "Right now we're going to have to focus on not dying."

As the words leave my mouth, the shadows of two men appear underneath the slit of my doorway, stopping directly outside. My blood instatly runs cold. 

Although the sensors won't open anything without a gesture or audio command from me, I can't help the fear that those two men give me. I don't know what they want. I don't know who they are. All I know is that they're dangerous, and one of them probably has a gun. 

Desperate and afraid, I settle for bending down behind a pretentiously minimalistic coffee table. Jerrika and Paul do the same.

"Are you sure this is the right number?" One man asks.

"Fuck if I know." The other responds. "Half of what Raydon tells me nowadays is bullshit. Wouldn't be surprised if that bitch's friend lives on the opposite end of L.A." He pauses, listening. "I'm over it. There's no lights on and I'm starving."

A drop of relief hits my stomach. They're leaving! Maybe I'll manage to live throught the night after all. 

As I watch their shadows turn to leave, a loud beeping starts eminating from somewhere nearby,

The coffee machine.

The goddamn coffee machine. 

Within seconds my hands are covering it's surface, smashing every button I can find to try and quiet the machine, but it's too late.

The damage has been done. 

"Everyone," I state, "we're going to die."