8. Chelicerate

According to Yunho and Mingi, the Purple Vents were dangerous for three aspects. The toxic gasses, the depth, and the readiness of any and every creature to kill any- and everything that moved. Apparently, Jongho had once tried to get down there using the Prawn Suit and was nearly killed by something they had not even seen. It had left a gaping hole in the suit and had narrowly missed doing the same to Jongho.

Hongjoong could barely wait to get down there.

From Delta Island they could dip right down in one of the trenches underneath the island and be on their way. Yunho and Mingi were at both of their sides today to make sure they didn't miss any possible dangers. Hongjoong felt safe next to Yunho, but at the same time the extra precaution made a ball of nervousness bounce through his body.

He was glad to have Seonghwa at his side. The man never failed to make Hongjoong remember how to breathe.

The shimmering light on the surface of the water quickly left them as they sunk down to more dangerous territories. The smaller and passive fishes they were used to, too, stayed clear of such unknown depths. Soon, they had left most of the Feather Fishes and Arctic Peepers behind to find themselves surrounded by eerie dark stone walls that led them straight down into the canyon.

"How soon will dangers appear?"

"You will see the vents first. From then on, at any time." Mingi's deep voice seemed dull in the darkness. Hongjoong's cold blue light did little to raise their spirits.

It took them a while to reach the end of the trench they were passing. As it cleared they found themselves in a large cave system that opened in the vast ocean. As usual, some flourescent flora and fauna lit up the scene, but all of them got overshadowed by the little volcano-like structures that were spilling purple gasses in the water. It was oddly warm here just how around the Spires, and as much as Hongjoong appreciated it, it made things even more eerie.

"What are they?" Sulfur, maybe?

Hongjoong directed his gaze at Seonghwa, who was already busy scanning their surroundings. He was frowning as he saved all data to his computers, clearly not too satisfied with the results.

"Yunho, what is a Shadow Leviathan?" Instead of answering Hongjoong's question, Seonghwa addressed their alien friends. His voice was tense, and he did not move even a centimetre from Hongjoong's side. The human nervously fiddled with his light. He dimmed it a bit so it wouldn't attract those weird Crashfish that were already raising their eyebrows at them.

"Shadow? No idea. We haven't met something like that ever since we came here."

"Nothing good from the sounds of it. Is one around?"

Seonghwa shook his head, making Hongjoong's shoulder drop in relief.

"My scans tell me that something like that is native in this biome. If we don't meet it, all the better. Then we just have to worry about that Chelicerate over there." Seonghwa pointed at some undefined direction, making all of their heads snap around.

Indeed, in the distance was a large red shadow that was sliding through the waters with suspicious nonchalance. It nearly looked as if it was tricking them into thinking it had no ulterior motives when really it was spying on them. Upon watching it a few minutes longer, Hongjoong believed to notice how it sneakily closed in on them.

A smart one. Hongjoong wasn't too keen on getting to know its sleek and large body from up close. From what he estimated, it was about as big as the Reaper had been. It looked a bit like a shrimp with its colour schemes only that it had fins and was less bend.

"It's the same one we always see here, damn. Big killjoy." Mingi was scowling at the heinous fiend with clear distaste.

"So, what's our goal? Is there anything specific we came here for?" Hongjoong quickly directed the conversation at the most important bits. Maybe they would be able to finish soon.