The Leaky Cauldron

It takes Harry several days to adjust to his new freedom. Never before has he been able to wake up whenever he pleases or eat whenever he wants, what ever he wants. He's allowed to go wherever he pleases as well, as long as it's in Diagon Alley. And considering Diagon Alley is full of the most interesting wizarding shops, Harry feels no desire to wander back into Muggle London.

Harry eats breakfast every morning in his room with Hedwig and after breakfast, he heads out back and presses the third brick from the left with his wand with the help of Hedwig, who has taken to travelling around Diagon Alley with him and helps him navigate the crowded street. He spends the long sunny days of summer exploring different shops and eating at different cafes. He no longer has to do his homework in the dead of night, which is a major plus to his new living situation. He sits outside at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor and does his homework, accepting the free ice cream Mr. Fortescue brings him every now and then while he does. Hedwig especially likes sitting with him while he does his homework because everybody who passes by stops to compliment her and praise her for being such a good owl and she soaks it all up like a sponge. Harry finds it hilarious.

Harry, not for the first time since arriving in the wizarding world, is glad to be blind. He thinks that if he wasn't, he wouldn't have any self control while he stays here, surrounded by shops holding merchandise that he wants to do nothing more than buy the entire stock of. But, considering he literally can't see half of the contents of the shops he visits, he doesn't have to continue reminding himself to not buy everything. Though, there's a new shop that he thinks might've opened up because of him (not that he's that conceited but... come on). It's a shop that is mainly directed at disabled witches and wizards. He's had his resolve tested many times in this shop and has mainly ignored the voice in his mind telling him to control himself, because really, was he just not going to buy the self-writing quill that will take notes for him so Hermione doesn't have to do it anymore? Or the magical white cane that works exactly like his Muggle one, except it has a cushioning charm on it for if he accidentally hits something or someone and it automatically repairs itself if it breaks? He's even been tested by some items not even aimed toward blind people, like the attachment for a cauldron that flashes when a potion is ready, even though he absolutely doesn't need that since he can't even see the flashing. His argument is that Snape would find it extremely annoying, since the man is so blatantly ableist.

The shop that tests his resolve even more than that one, though, is Quality Quidditch Supplies. And a week after his arrival at Diagon Alley, the one thing that he has to remind himself constantly that he doesn't need it shows up.

The Firebolt.

Never in his life has he wanted something more than the newest broom on the market. It's advertised as the fastest racing broom in the world, but also the most expensive, if the price on request is anything to go by.

There are, however, actual things that Harry needs to buy. He goes to the Apothecary to replenish his potion ingredients, and as his school robes are beginning to get a little short in the arms and legs, he visits Madam Malkin's to buy new ones. He imagines, though, that he won't grow much more, and will probably only have to buy a new set of robes once more.

Most importantly, though, he needs new school books, which includes the books for his two new subjects, Care of Magical Creatures and Divination.

Harry gets a surprise when he consults his book list for the first time. On it is something called The Monster Book for Monsters, which is required for Care of Magical Creatures. He thinks back to Hagrid's birthday gift and it suddenly makes sense. Hagrid must've bought him the book and it must act like an actual monster, hence the snapping sounds he heard. He makes a note to tie his belt around the book that he's yet to unwrap so he doesn't have to deal with getting his hand bitten off by it.