Chapter 26. Severus Confronts Harry ☾

A/N: All familiar content is from The Chamber of Secrets pg. 133-136

After they got Ginny to the hospital wing, Harry, Draco, and Ron were called into Dumbledore's office. They explained what had happened, and the Weasleys thanked Harry and Draco profusely. Ron was upset that they included Draco in the praise, but was quickly mollified when his mother smothered him with praises, too, since he did go down in the Chamber, as well.

The Weasleys soon departed to go see Ginny, and so Harry and Draco were left with Dumbledore. Harry handed the first horcrux over to the headmaster. Before they could converse, Remus burst through the headmaster's door.

"Harry! Thank God you're alright!" Remus grabbed Harry and started inspecting him. "Did you cut yourself? Are you hurt? Oh, Harry you had me scared to death!" Harry blushed and Draco snickered.

"How do you even know what happened, Remus?" Harry asked, trying to distract the man from inspecting him over again.

"Professor McGonagall firecalled me as soon as you were out of the Chamber. What were you thinking, young man?" Remus scolded before pulling Harry into a tight hug. "I can't lose another Potter."

"I was unaware you 'lost' the first two." Draco muttered, smirking at his pun.

Before Remus could say anymore, Lucius burst into the headmaster's office.

"Good evening, Lucius," Dumbledore greeted.

"Headmaster, I am here to relieve you of your position. There is clearly something dangerous occurring at the castle and you have done nothing to stop it." Lucius reproached.

"And that could be the plot of our series." Draco muttered. Harry grinned

"Harry just saved the day by stopping the monster that was attacking our students from within the Chamber of Secrets. Professor Snape is right now administering the mandrake potion to the petrified students. All is well, and Hogwarts is safe."

"Harry Potter? And the Chamber of Secrets?" Lucius sputtered.

"And there's our title." Draco continued. Remus chuckled.

"Yes, it seems Mr. Potter was able to defeat the basilisk and stop the person responsible." Dumbledore added.

"You caught the culprit?" Lucius asked in amazement.

"The same person as last time, Lucius. Except this time, Lord Voldemort was acting through someone else by the means of this diary." Dumbledore enlightened.

Lucius became very angry that his plan was foiled by a twelve-year-old. He was so angry that he did not notice Harry slip his sock in the diary that Dumbledore had handed to him. He then gave it to Lucius, who gave it to Dobby, subsequently freeing the elf. The elf then protected Harry and his friends from the Avada Kedavra Lucius was about to say.

Lucius soon left and Remus took the two boys back to Gryffindor Tower. They were about to go in when they heard someone calling for Mr. Potter. Harry turned around and saw Professor Snape stalking towards him.

"Did you call me, Professor?" Harry asked. Professor Snape nodded.

"Yes, there are a few things I must discuss with you before you leave on holiday." Professor Snape told him ominously. Remus stepped forward.

"Is it something I need to know about, Severus?" Remus asked, concerned.

"No, Lupin. This is just something I must discuss with Mister Potter alone." Professor Snape clarified.

"It's okay, Remus. I'll see you at King's Cross." Harry promised. Remus gave Harry a hug before he helped Draco into the tower.

"Come with me." Professor Snape instructed. Harry nodded his head and followed his professor down into the dungeons. Harry soon found himself in his potion master's office, staring at the desk in front of him.

"What did you need to speak to me about, professor?" Harry asked him. The professor sighed.

"Mister Potter, it has come to my attention that your home life is less than stellar." Snape told him. Harry furrowed his brow.

"And how did you come by this information?" Harry asked suspiciously. Draco was so going to get it when Harry returned to the common room. He had told the blond to stay out of it.

"By the power of observation, Mister Potter." Snape lied. "You are far too skinny. You flinch when your friends touch you. At my house, you were far too quiet and too polite." He paused. "On top of all of that, you mentioned you were living with Petunia. I know she hates magic, and I have no doubt she would at the very least neglect you. I cannot imagine she would marry someone any nicer. On top of all that, you came to me asking for information about your mother and grandparents, which means she neglected to tell you anything about your past herself."

"All of this led you to believe I was abused?" Harry asked.

"That and an anonymous source mentioned they had seen you had many scars and bruises-old and new-when they saw you. Draco casually mentioned his rescue when I had him explain himself to me. The fact there were bars on only your window-as well as locks on your door-I can only imagine the kind of life you live with your deplorable aunt." Snape paused again. "I want you to know that if you ever are concerned for your safety, you can contact me. I should go to Dumbledore for this, but I am under the impression that my concerns will be ignored. I think you should also tell Lupin of your living situation. I know he would not stand for you living like you do."

Harry nodded. "Thank you, sir," Harry replied. Snape nodded.

"You're welcome." Harry turned to leave when Professor Snape stopped him. "And Mister Potter, try and have a decent holiday." Harry smiled.

"I'll try, sir." He promised before leaving. Maybe, he would not kill Draco, after all.

The following week found Harry, Draco, and Hermione on the Hogwarts Express. They had invited Luna to join them in their carriage, and she happily agreed. The trio had helped her find all of the things her housemates had hid over the year, and Harry had warned the Ravenclaws that he would not stand for them bullying poor Luna.

The train ride seemed shorter this time, knowing who was waiting for him at the station. Harry counted himself blessed. Not only did he now have someone who came to all his Quidditch games, he also had someone waiting for him at King's Cross.

"Excited for this next year?" Hermione whispered knowingly. Harry grinned.

"Absolutely. I plan to make communication with him early and often." He replied cryptically.

"Doesn't Black escape this year?" Draco recalled, whispering himself as to not tip Luna off to the truth about them.

"Who else did you think we're talking about?" Hermione scoffed.

"I don't know! Lupin also teaches this year." Draco whispered in defense. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Why do you think Professor Lupin teaches this year?" Hermione asked.

"You mean the only reason Dumbledore offered him a job was because his best friend was on the loose?" Draco ridiculed. "I just thought he had gone completely bonkers and hired Lupin as he did Lockhart." Harry glared.

"Remus is a good teacher! If I had it my way, he would have been our last teacher for DADA." Harry complained. He then muttered to himself, "I didn't have a lot of luck with DADA teachers after that. They all seemed to want to kill me." Draco rolled his eyes.

"Don't be so melodramatic. Uncle Sev didn't want to kill you. He didn't want you anywhere near him, but he didn't want to kill you." Draco stuck up for Professor Snape. At that point, Severys poked his head out from under Draco sleeve. Hermione suddenly looked thoughtfully.

"Did you take Severys to the Chamber of Secrets with you?" She asked incredulously.

"Of course, and he did a very good job protecting us from the bad old idiot. Didn't you, Sevvie." Draco cooed. Harry snickered while Hermione rolled her eyes.

"This year's going to be great!" Harry laughed as he watched Draco pet Severys.

CHAPTER END
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT
LOVE, ESHA❤