Chapter One | Family Reunion +1

SONG: Phantom Of The Opera- The Umbrella Academy (Number Seven-Vanya)

"You did amazing Vanya! Truly inspiring piece!" I hyped up my closest friend in this city, Vanya Hargreeves. We met about a year ago when I decided to try and take up being a violinist as a hobby, but it didn't really pan out that well, so instead we decided to just stay friends.

"You're only saying that because you know you're terrible at playing," Vanya showed the hint of a smile at my shower of compliments, to which I rolled my eyes.

"That may be a reason, but not the reason. Seriously, I've never seen anyone play any instrument with as much passion as you do. I wish I had your talent with literally anything," I said, bumping shoulders with her as we walked down the dark sidewalk. It was raining, but I could be anywhere with her and not be sad. Vanya was too sweet to be sad around, or angry at. I don't think we'd ever gotten into a single argument, other than maybe what movie we should watch.

"Okay, okay. Are you just trying to butter me up to get some free food out of it?" she raised an eyebrow at me.

"That wasn't the intention, but if free food is on the table I will gladly take up that offer," I nodded, grinning at her.

"Want to go to the diner around the corner? It'll get us out of the rain," she offered.

"I like where your head's at," I tapped my temple twice and then pointed at her, but she abruptly stopped, staring off beside me as the smile on her face dropped. I began to turn around when she walked past me and to a shop window. I looked through to see a Television screen that read Breaking News: Sir Reginald Hargreeves is Dead.

I'd known Vanya long enough for her to have told me about her family and how dysfunctional it was. It still didn't change the fact that growing up, I always wanted to be a part of it, from the accident to the abandonment, all I wanted was to be a part of a family who would accept me for who I was, but after Vanya told me about their family issues, I realized that might not have been the case for everyone. I stepped up behind my friend as I heard her whisper a soft, "Dad?"

"Shit..." I mumbled, my eyes going over the screen a few times more. I then looked back at her, "Vanya, maybe I'll pay for the food this time," I said and she shook her head, turning around.

"I actually think I might just go home and get some rest, Luce," she replied. I nodded.

"Yeah, no, that's fine. We don't need to get any food. Just make sure you feel better," I put a friendly hand on her shoulder as she nodded, then walked past me to call a cab. I sighed and stayed behind her until I knew she was safe in a taxi and not some perverts car seeing as Vanya was a small thing and would probably be easy to kidnap. I then made my way down the street, thinking about the News Headline.

This could be my chance.

The next morning I put my plan into play. I hated thinking I was going to try and use Vanya to get to her family, but to be fair, that wasn't the plan from the get-go. I just... Wanted to feel like I was a part of a team.