46 🌙 Coralie

As I thought back to my previous conversation with Esmeralda, I found that a smile made its way onto my face. Esmeralda had hugged me. She had actually hugged me. It seemed as though she didn't dislike me all that much, after all. Then again, I supposed that we were now friends and I would do all that I could to protect her, as I knew that she would do the same for me. She was important to me, as were the others. However, try as I may to ignore the sense that there was more to all of this, I just couldn't deny how important Esmeralda was becoming to me. 

Esmeralda had said that she was going to begin to go a little easier on me, too. So, that was something. 

Esmeralda, the others and I had been walking for so long that we eventually got back into the meadow. 

There was no time to stay and chat with Waltz and Tango, though, as much as I may have wanted to do so. 

"I need to talk to you about something," Esmeralda said, as she came to sit next to me on the outskirts of the meadow. 

"Yeah? What's up, Esme?" I asked her. 

"I...do you think I'm a good leader? Be honest," she whispered. 

I felt my eyes grow a little larger in my surprise at that question. 

"Esmeralda...you already know that I do," I said. 

Esmeralda's eyebrows creased together slightly. 

"Why? What's going on?" I asked her. 

"I guess I just worry..." she trailed off. 

"Worry about that?" I asked her, as I took a step closer to gently place my hand upon her arm. 

Esmeralda glanced towards my hand for a second with a warmer gaze, before she spoke again. 

"I worry that when all of this is over...I'll be on my own again. And believe me, I have been independent my whole life, it's nothing new to me. It's just that I finally feel as though I'm wanted, needed. I don't want that to end," she said. 

I met her gaze, as I spoke with full sincerity. 

"It won't," I said, with a supportive smile. 

Esmeralda smiled back at me appreciatively. 

"Hey, I'm going to be honest with you, Esmeralda, if we pull this off... I don't think any one of us will be leaving any time soon," Ferna said, with a reassuring expression. "I don't know how the rest of you see me but I view myself as a part of this team, now, and I'm going to make sure we do this. I'm going to make sure that we stop my parents." 

Nicolas soon walked over to sit with us. 

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere," he said, "I know that what we're doing is for the good of Stellaxir and...I want to continue to help out my people, no matter what. I couldn't imagine a greater group of people to do all of this with." 

I felt the corners of my lips twitch up a little, at that sentiment. 

Ajax strode over to us confidently and soon sat down with us. He smiled expressively, before he spoke again. 

"I know we can do this. We're the adventurers. We're strong, we're smart and we are...er...super hot," he said, with a wink. 

Esmeralda chuckled at that. 

"We will do this, Ajax and then maybe Gloria will be so impressed that you'll be able to be with her again," she said. 

Ajax's eyes brightened slightly at that but then his expression became more thoughtful. 

"I...I don't know if I want to be with Gloria anymore. I think our relationship was based on superficialities and...maybe I like someone else," he whispered. 

"Huh?" Esmeralda and I asked in unison. 

Sooner than that could be answered, though, Echo began to walk towards us with Amicus. The two of them sat down with us, too. 

Echo sat down with us and had this sweet smile upon her face. She was, in my opinion, the most peaceful member of our group. That was why I really appreciated having her around. She had helped settle our nerves countless times, now. Her presence brought hope. Then again, I supposed that we all did, nowadays. 

"Hey. How is everyone?" Echo asked gently. 

"We're fantastic, pixie. How are you?" Ajax asked her, with a caring expression. 

"I'm okay. It's just...the map says that the King and Queen are still pretty far away," she said. 

Ferna sighed, which prompted us all to look towards her. 

"How frustrating. I was hoping that we would find them by sundown but...patience is a virtue," she said. 

We had been on this adventure for long enough, now, for me to know that well. 

"Is everyone okay, though?" Echo asked, as a compassionate expression made its way onto her face. 

"I'm excellent," Ajax said, as he lied down upon the grass and stared up at the fluffy white clouds that were passing overhead. 

"We'll be fine, Echo," Ferna said. 

"Of course, we will be. We have each other," I said, with a smile, as I met Esmeralda's gaze in particular. 

Esmeralda smiled back, as her eyes shimmered with determination. 

"Yes we do," she said. 

As she locked eyes with me, I felt my heart flutter faintly. I wasn't sure what that was about but I knew that it was a feeling that I could ultimately get used to. 

"We all have our strengths," Esmeralda said, "Ajax has his confidence. Echo has her kindness. Coralie is determined and helpful...Nicolas and Jasper- you two are incredible friends and you have brought us so much happiness and Ferna- you're a badass." 

Ferna smiled and her teeth gleamed, as a proud expression made its way onto her face. 

"You're welcome," she said. 

"We're going to be okay," Jasper said, as his sparkling eyes glanced around at each one of us and finally settled on Nicolas. "We haven't given up so far!" he reminded us, with an affectionate smile. 

"And we're not about to," Esmeralda said, as she stood up again. "Let's get going, adventurers and...welcome, to our newest member, Ferna," she said, with her own grin, this time around.