Chapter 4

Theresa paused listening. Today some of the people she was bunking with had decided they wanted to go out scavenging. Mushrooms of all things but one person had assured her that certain mushrooms tasted like chicken and could be deep-fried like nuggets. That had sounded bizarre but she wasn't in a position to argue. She was to do what she was told until she could do what she must. She kept her eyes on the ground and the trees looking for anything that looked like the pictures she had been shown in a book. She idly swung the staff she had. It had a spear tip and had saved her bacon quite a few times.

She kept an eye on the group trying to seem casual as she moved further away from them. Finally, when they were out of sight she picked a tree that was tall and she bent down to her shoes where she flipped down spikes. Her belt wound around her waist several times making her look as Negan had so nicely put it, a fatty. The damn fool would actually choose looks over someone who could keep themselves and possibly a few others alive.In this day looks didn't matter if you wanted to live.

Once her long belt was off she slung it trying to get it around the tree. She got it on the third try then took a step up driving the spike into the bark. Using the strap and she was able to walk up the tree. She stopped before she got too close to the top and looked around.

Yes.

There Alexandria was laid out like a beautiful fairy tale. She studied it a moment, memorizing it and where everything was and how everything related to another. When she decided she had enough info she looked down to make sure that she was clear. It was while she was doing that something caught her eye.

There was a herd of undead in the distance. They didn't look more than maybe 20. She wished she could let go of her strap and shield her eyes or at least use binoculars but if the strap let go it was adios bitch, she'd be screaming all the way down and would only get up again as an undead walker. If her legs weren't broken. She concentrated on getting down stabbing the spikes on her shoes hard into the trunk so she didn't skin the bark off and leave her plunging to her death.

Once she was on the ground and the spikes were flipped up again so they weren't noticeable she walked towards where she had seen the others near a small stream that was almost dried up. Apparently, they found what they were looking for. The basket had several different kinds of mushrooms in it.

The deaf one looked at her with a steady gaze then signed to her brother.

"What happened to you? Where did you go?"

"I got distracted. I thought I saw a walker. Never mind that I think there's a small herd..." She pointed "...out that way."

The one who had the tattoo on her throat stared at her. " How do you know?"

"I climbed up a tree and saw them." Theresa admitted. She braced herself for more nagging questions but there was none. They hurried with their picking and then moved back towards the community.

" Have all these other houses outside the wall been checked?" Theresa asked looking out at what would have been an ordinary suburban neighborhood.

" I think so, I mean they've been here a long time," Enid said. "Come on, we need to hurry, they'll want to know about the herd."

"You go ahead. I'll catch up" Theresa said, turning away from them.

"What wait you can't just go out on your own!" signed Connie.

Theresa grinned at her. " I've been on my own. I need to scout around for my peace of mind. I promise I'll be fine."

"We'll go with you." Enid said quickly.

After rolling her head briefly to get the cricks out Theresa gave them a steady gaze. " Look you either let me get a lay of the land or I'll sneak out late tonight and be stuck doing it in the dark where there's more of a chance I'll be killed. Your choice."

They stared at her. Looked at each other then shrugged. This woman was older then them for one thing for another she had survived out there alone so she had to know how to take care of herself.

They weren't happy but they finally left.

Teresa took a deep breath smelling the moss of the trees, the air around her tainted with the insidious smell of the dead and decay. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a compass aligned herself and began to jog off into the woods.

"Are you feeling alright?" Gabriel's polite question brought Negan's head around. He swallowed realizing he didn't even know what the hell he was eating.

"You know Gab if you keep this kind of thing up Rosita's gonna become suspicious." he quipped his eyes going to the window again. Where the hell was she? The others had come back an hour ago. He was getting irritated.

" I can't help but notice I haven't been assaulted with your idea of a conversation since I came down here. In fact, you even thanked me for the food."

" I did?" Negan was honestly surprised." Well, don't get used to it."

" I thought we could try a meditation exercise after..."

"You know what Gab I'll pass. That shit isn't doing anything but making me fall asleep. Suppose you take your religious ass out of here let me alone to my own thoughts."

Someone came close and he quickly looked out the window. Judith with her homework. Damn was it that late already?

"I'm sure she's fine." Judith called to him while she looked through several pages trying to decide where she wanted to start.

"How do you know?" Negan hastily corrected himself " Who?"

Judith gave him that look where she rolled her eyes and shook her head as if the stupidity of the adult she was addressing was such a great burden she had to give up pondering it.

It never failed to make him grin and grin he did.

The gate opened and Theresa came through. She looked like she had rolled in the mud or something but ignored everyone's reactions. Her's was the kind of visage found on Viking ships. Unflappable under the questions she was pelted with and stoic while she patiently waited for someone to look her over to make sure she hadn't been bit.Her spear was bloody with old rotted blood so she had a skirmish somewhere.

Negan held his breath until they were done. He tried to will her to look at him but she was unmoved even by the force of his gaze and he stepped back disappointed. He sat on the cot and rested his hands on his head.

Suddenly he felt old. Not just old but ancient. When had that happened?

He realized that Gabriel was still standing in front of his cell just looking at him.

" Thought I asked you to get the fuck the out." Negan snarled.

Gabriel cocked his head and Negan groaned.

Shit, the do goody was coming up. He could see it filing the priest up with purpose and that annoying as hell urge to meddle.

"I can have her bring your dinner."

"Don't bother, I don't care who brings it." Negan said gruffly. He laid on his cot and kept his back to Gabriel ignoring the priests every effort to talk to him. Finally, the do-gooder left and Negan was left alone in his cell.