0

My hand reached out to press the button on the vending machine, a strawberry soda tumbled out of the metal contraption. I cracked the lid and took a sip, the taste of carbonation and far too much sugar flooded my senses, perfect.

I looked towards the sky, it was getting dark, but I stayed strong. Well, more like I stayed a coward. Those bullies probably went home hours ago, that wouldn't stop me from being scared. If they ever managed to corner me outside of school I'd be screwed, then with their quirks and me with... no quirk.

The light from my watch illuminated the space around me, leaving the rest of the street dark. I sighed, only 7:34, those guys could still be around but... I could always take the back route, though I might have to dodge a creep or two. I tossed my empty bottle of soda into a nearby trash can before cautiously entering the alleyway the my right. It couldn't be that bad... could it?

I was careful to avoid broken bottles, needles, cigarette buts. My eyes darted to dumpsters and empty crates, a part of me was afraid that something would jump out. I rounded a corner, my nose scrunching up at the smell of booze. My body went rigid as the sound of rustling trash reached my ears. I took a deep breath and continued on, rats aren't scary, definitely not.

A quiet breeze filled the alley. I cringed as a drop of water from a pipe above hit my head. I froze as another rustle filled the air, this time that rat or bird sounded closer. I swallowed, vermin weren't my favorite thing in the world but it was to late to turn back now. Despite the urge to be a coward and run the other way, I kept walking.

A horrible mistake.

I tapped my watch out of anxiety in order to get some light. 7:54, its not midnight or anything. Everything is just fine. I clenched my fists as the trash can to my left made a noise. I proceeded to walk faster, rats don't care about teenage girls, thus things were alright. My eyes squinted to see as the sky got darker, I knew where I was going, I just didn't want to step on something... or someone.

As my nerves began to calm down, something flew right behind my head. I broke into a very brisk walk. Alley birds were apparently terrifying, which is fine because it's just a bird. My adrenaline was on high and I didn't like it one bit. There is nothing to be afraid of, I haven't been mugged or stabb- something touched my leg. And just like that, I was running, no longer afraid of beer bottles and cigarettes. Because that was not a rat nor was it a bird, it was slimy. Clearly one of my classmates has come to terrorize me, no animals are made of slime, well aside from slugs, but it would have to be a very large slug to reach my calve.

My sense of direction was jumbled as I ran from alley to alley, my heart was pounding in my ears and my breathing was heavy. As I turned the corner, my heart stopped and my running ceased. Dead end. I turned around, expecting the grinning face of a middle school bully. Nothing but a dark streeted greeted me. I cracked a small smile and sighed. A feeling of relief washed over me, at least until a wet, growl of a voice met my ear.

"Someone thinks they're smart don't they? Well, you should know I am much faster than some human." The voice spoke directly to my ear, the slime had returned and now rested on my shoulder. I slowly looked to the thing. It was something out of a horror movie, slimy and black painted with white eyes and a teeth filled grin. I found myself unable to move, not because it had done something, but because I was a coward. The thing slithered around my neck as I struggled to breath. "Let's see if you manage to survive longer than my past hosts." A full set of fangs sank into the back of my neck and everything went dark.

::

My eyes cracked open, the small amount of light from the alley allowed me to look around. Did, did I pass out? I must have fainted from the stress of running, that's so lame. I checked my watch, 8:43, Dad won't be home till tomorrow so I'm fine. He'd have a panic attack if he knew I was out so late. Might as well head home, those bullies are definitely gone by now.

I'm still mad that I passed out in alley of all places, I'm such an idiot, I could've been raped or something. All because I was afraid of being chased by rats, gosh I'm stupid. I did the rational thing and pulled out my phone, this time I would ask siri to solve my problems. With a map home and a bit more light, I made my way home, wondering why I didn't just do this in the first place. Oh wait, I know, it's because I'm a cocky idiot who thought she knew where she was going.

My anxiety practically vanished when I saw the road to my apartment, bully free and everything. I calmly opened the door of the apartment, I sighed as the familiar yet small kitchen greeted me. My father and I aren't super well off, we're not dirt poor but we don't have extra money for some fancy vacation. I'm happy to have a smart phone and I'm sure my father is happy to have something to call me on.

We wouldn't be like this if my mom weren't such a bitch, she made my father sign a prenup before they were married. My dad, blinded by love signed it without question. I wish he hadn't, their divorce was settled quickly. My dad got custody of me... and my mom got everything else.

I sighed and popped open the door to the bathroom so I could brush my teeth. My eyes strayed to the mirror, I did a double take. My reflection was perfectly normal, short brown hair, grey eyes, and freckles, nothing new. In fact I wouldn't be scared if it weren't for the black, slimy tendril growing out of my back. Quickly, a face grew from the slime, one that I was familiar with. And then it hit me, I didn't pass out.

I opened my mouth to scream, but the creepy... thing beat me to it. "I'm surprised, you've lasted a full hour, not to mention you're the first to wake up." The voice was weird as ever, I tried again to scream, but noise wasn't coming out. The thing tilted it's head, a long tongue ran over it's teeth. "Don't tell me I picked a mute, that would be rather inconvenient." The thing moved closer to my face, pressuring me to speak.

I gulped and sweat began to run down my back. Despite wanting nothing more than to wake up from this stupid dream, I forced myself to speak. "W-what are you?".

The thing grinned.

"I am Venom, and you are my host."

::

Prologue complete, its short, but it's the prologue. The other chapters will be much longer so don't worry. Tell me what you think in the comments.