Chapter 24 | 1997

"You look lovely," Pansy said with a grin, "trying to impress anyone in particular?"

Maeve didn't miss the pointed look her cousin levelled on Theo, but she pretended to. She had never felt anything other than a sisterly sort of affection for him, and she was certain he felt the exact same way. Instead of entertaining Pansy's matchmaking dreams, Maeve took in her cousin's black dress dotted with magical flashing stars, "I could say the same things to you, Pansy."

Placated by the flattery, Pansy gave a little twirl that fanned out the skirt enchantingly, "I love these stupid parties for the sole reason that I get to dress up."

Maeve grinned to herself, "remember when we were toddlers and we ran about under the tablecloths?"

"I remember you barely speaking English and us bonding over the innate need to cause trouble," Pansy's eyes glazed with memories of the past and a nostalgic smile spread over her lips.

The first hour or so of the party Maeve spent in a shadowy corner with Blaise, Pansy, and Theo, trying to subtly mess with Blaise's dress robes without his notice. Guests trickled in slowly, each wearing extravagant evening wear. Some gravitated into groups, some made a beeline to the dance floor and waltzed around the room to the songs played by a self-playing string quartet.

Parkinson Manor had an impressive ballroom that doubled as a music room when there weren't grandiose parties occurring. The smooth, pale beige floor was glossy with fresh polish under the feet of the guests. The white walls were nearly entirely covered by fluttering gold drapes, fir garlands, and red bows. The ceiling was hidden entirely by the thin strips of golden material that rained down at differing lengths, occasionally spotted with hanging mistletoe and floating candles that emitted far more light than made logical sense.

Pansy had already dragged Blaise off twice for a rather public snog under hanging mistletoe.

Tables bearing food were scattered along the sidelines of the space cleared for dancing, as well as tables and chairs for guests to break or catch up with friends.

Maeve and her friends hid in a corner as far away from both of the entrances to the large room. The large double doors that led directly to the entrance hall and front doors still allowed the odd late coming in. The doors on the opposite side opened and closed as hired waiters and house elves disappeared in and out, presumably to the kitchens.

Sipping idly at a glass of sparkling wine, Maeve kept her eyes canvassing the room thoroughly. She had a strict plan to follow if she was to succeed in minimal contact with her parents. It felt silly, but her festering feelings towards them had only grown and she wanted nothing more than to avoid them until she could speak with a clear mind.

She didn't know what to say to them, in truth. There was nothing she could say that wouldn't involve her in the worldly conflict at some level. That scared her.