3

For the next two nights, my dreams were plagued by Michael. I couldn't stop thinking about his hand gripping the back of my chair, his hair falling into his face, the gold chain peeking out from under his shirt, and how it would look against bare skin, his or mine...

Stupid. I'd barely said a word to this guy, and I was dreaming about him? Like some vapid schoolgirl with a crush. It wasn't like me at all, I felt like a different person. Something about his eyes, the way they pierced right through me like a laser, made me feel exposed.

I decided that morning to put him out of my mind completely, or do my very best to. The warlocks being on civil terms with the witches didn't mean anything. Trying to reassure myself, I thought, I may never see him again. I ignored how that thought made my stomach flip, dread gnawing at my insides.

"What has you so upset?" Penny, the witch who stayed in the room next door to mine, asked. "I could feel it through the wall." She plopped down onto my bed with concern plastered across her face.

Penny was an empath to extreme levels. She felt what you felt, exactly how you felt it. When she was younger, she told me she had to avoid crowded rooms because the mix of emotions made her vomit. Now, with years at the Academy under her belt, she'd learned to control it – but somehow my emotions had knocked a hole through the drywall and her willpower.

"I'm fine." I replied.

Penny frowned. "That's bullshit, and you know I know. What's going on in your head, Ly?"

I sighed. "The warlocks. I can't figure them out, or what they're up to. Makes me uneasy."

I figured that wasn't totally a lie. A half-truth – I was worried about the warlocks. I just failed to tell her it was one in particular that was bothering me.

"I feel you," Penny said casually, and I smiled because she did, literally. "But if Cordelia thinks this is a good idea, I trust her judgment. You should too."

She was right. But something about the whole thing just felt off.

"I had my doubts," Cordelia appeared in the doorway, giving us both a fright. Our Supreme had a habit of sneaking up on people.

"I understand your apprehension. But I think that unity is in the coven's best interests. I wouldn't have invited them otherwise." Cordelia said.

"I know. We trust you." I nodded. I hated the idea of Cordelia thinking we didn't have faith in her. She was the best woman and witch I'd ever known.

"You two better get ready for lessons." Cordelia concluded, before drifting out of the room.

After hours of potion-making and practising tricky incantations, we had finished up for the day and a few girls were lounging in the sitting room. I was playing cards with Zoe, a witch-version of those memory games you play in grade school. Instead of guessing with memory, I guessed with divination. It wasn't my strong suit; she beat me four to one.

The rest of the girls stepped into the room, followed by Cordelia. We all sat up straighter, knowing something was coming. She only called all of us into one room if there was an important announcement to make.

"My girls. Ariel and I have had several meetings over the last few days. We think what we all need is some fun," She smiled.

We all paid more attention.

"Next Saturday, we are attending a ball. A reconciliation ball, for witches and warlocks to come together and enjoy themselves. A celebration." Even Cordelia looked excited as she explained.