Chapter Thirty-Four: Micah

Micah could tell that it was getting dark. After all, the sun had fallen, and the heat of its rays no longer beat against his skin. It'd been hours since his tour with Adelaide at TAFAH. While he, Lian, and Rose had been off exploring the school, Alastor, Max, and Colton had been preparing for tonight under Scythe's supervision.

Micah ran his hands over the fabric of the outfit that lay on his cot. It was so different from the uniform he'd once worn while serving under Pardus. So much simpler, and not in a good way. In the past, he had been supplied with a uniform that was reinforced in necessary places. It kept his identity safe and sound, as well as his body.

But this? He wasn't so sure how safe he'd feel in it.

He felt a signature approach from behind. Colton. He turned slightly. "What is it?"

Colton hesitantly reached out, and Micah sighed, holding his hand out.

"Scythe wants you." He spelled out on Micah's palm. "Get dressed."

"Do I have to?" Micah made a face. "These costumes feel ridiculous. I can only imagine how they look."

"I resent that!" Lian's muffled voice could be heard through the wall from the room next to Micah's. "I spent a long time making these!"

"Not that long," Micah muttered.

Colton tapped his hand to draw his attention back, then spelled out: "They aren't that bad. We look like villains."

"Really?" Micah said. "Well, so long as we don't look stupid."

Colton chuckled, then spelled: "Hurry. For Scythe."

"Fine, I'll hurry," Micah drawled, pulling away. "Now shoo."

He began tugging his shirt off as Colton backed away. The boy lingered in the doorway, and Micah turned to face him, now shirtless. He arched a brow at the Peeping Tom.

"Enjoying the show?" He smirked.

With that, Colton scampered off, his energy signature running a bit warmer than before.

Soon, Micah had tugged on the outfit. Thankfully, it wasn't as tight as he'd thought it was going to be. Lian hadn't had time to make all the costumes by hand, just to modify parts of each one. It seemed the pants were some sort of cargo leggings, more fitted than regular pants, but thankfully not skin-tight. He wore a tucked-in skin-tight long-sleeved shirt that had some sort of painted symbol on the chest. Over it all, he'd been given a jacket to wear. This one had been modified. All the items had been bought from various stores around town, but not all had been so carefully tailored for criminal purposes.

Lian had added a hood to his jacket, and to all of the others' uniforms, including his own. Then he asked each member what sort of mask they preferred. Rose, Colton, and Alastor all chose the small, minimal domino masks, not as concerned about their identities being exposed. Max went without a mask entirely, choosing instead to proudly show off his face in hopes of impressing his villainous relatives. Lian and Micah, however, knew better. Lian had a sister at the hero academy. He couldn't risk being recognized by her. And Micah couldn't risk being recognized, period. They'd both gone with larger masks. Lian's, a half-face mask molded after the human face, exposing only the mouth. Micah's, a full-face mask, painted black, completely smooth and featureless.

Masks chosen by all, Lian set about attaching them to the hoods of each of their outfits. That way, when the masks were worn, the hoods would stay up, even if they got into a fight. It was clever, Micah had to admit.

Upon arriving home from the tour with Addie, after managing to shake her loose, Lian had been elated to show off what he'd done in their absence. He was proud of his creations, or more accurately, his alterations. He'd bragged about them to no end. Micah could practically visualize them in his mind.