Chapter 26

June 3rd

1040 Fifth Avenue

Two days after she got the keys to Brambletyde, Jackie flew back to New York to order new things for the Squaw Island home and to prepare the bedroom for the coming baby. 

Jackie entered the room next door to Caroline's in her Fifth Avenue apartment so she could look for the design she imagined. Nancy Tuckerman stood with her. "Nancy, for this room I want it to be a neutral colour. Beige. Since I don't know whether Jack and I are having a boy or a girl. I want to avoid disappointment and embarassment" Jackie explained. 

Nancy understood. "Should we maybe have white whicker furniture? Or should it all be different?" Nancy asked. Jackie shook her head. "I imagined. A white wooden cot, like the one Caroline had. And a rocking chair plus an armchair so we can read to her. And a bookcase. And a wardrobe..". Jackie continued explaining her ideas for the baby's bedroom and Nancy took it all down in a memo. 

"Is Clint satisfied with all of this?" Nancy asked. Jackie shrugged. "Even if he isn't, he needs to remember that Jack is this baby's father". 

Nancy nodded. "When is it due?" she asked. Jackie thought back to what the doctor had told her. "August I think.." she hesitated her brain lost in thought. 

"I hope they're due around the same time as Patrick. Except aren't born premature like him. I couldn't bear it when they took him away" Jackie sighed. Memories once again came pouring into her mind. Whenever she thought of Patrick, so much regret came to her. She regretted smoking when she was heavily pregnant. 

She shouldn't have done so many engagements. They should have announced it earlier and people would understand her absense. And one thing had stuck in her mind since he was born. She had never got to hold him. He was in such a critical condition, they immediately put him in an incubator. Jackie wiped away a tear. 

She never understood why she had so much tragedy in her 34 years of life.